Musky/multi specie boat. 16ft, one adult two teens...Input.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonLB

Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up a 16ft Starcraft boat that's local here. The inside is gone, and that's fine. An clean slate. 8)

I was hoping to get input about what you guys would include into your mod/build. I have two boys that will be going fishing with me so I need room for them. I'm going to stick to about 16ft.
Also will probably convert any boat that is console steer to tiller, to eliminate the console and free up the room it takes up.

I've got some ideas, but would like any extra input.

Thanks folks.

Lon

I would leave the console steer - in a boat that size it is handy to have and does not really take up much space

My tinnie got it's start in life as a side console, but the previous owner removed it. Note, it never had a middle bench. I really like the open floor space and will probably keep it this way. If I needed a 3rd seat though, I would add a removable seat in the middle. In your case, I would at least give the console a try before removing though, you may actually like it.

SDC12193.jpg

I use to have a Pro Guide V16 Tracker but sold it to get out of the payment...It was console.
I fished out of a tiller boat growing up.

I do like the console steer better 'for me'. But I'm building this one looking to the future. I would like to have as much room as I can for my boy's to fish. That's the same reason my dad converted his to tiller too.

I'm curious how much a large livewell is needed for Muskie fishing. I've never caught one that I found the need to put in a livewell for recovery, and I don't plan on ever fishing a musky tournament.

I would like a livewell big enough for bait and maybe some bluegill/crappie if me and my little ones fish for those... I might fish a few small local club bass tournaments too, so it would need to be big enough for that.

With that said, my idea for tackle storage is to make the entire end of the deck flip up. This way I can store my tackle boxes under there. I would add built in storage, but you can't utilize built in storage well with Musky lures.

My tackle storage idea takes the space a livewell would normally go.

Have you checked out dan myers build?... https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10516
He was building a muskie rig before he moved, but I'm not sure a live well was in the plans.