Tin Boat Rally

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tccanoe

Reaction score
Hay Guys, When are we going to have a boat rally? Some kind of get-together? Atlanta seems to be a good spot this spring. Chattanooga has a lot of water around it with a the Tennessee River running right through town and the largest fresh water aquarium in the world with really big fresh water sport fish. I don't know. Just a thought. Any other ideas? I'll shut up now.

Now, tc, that would be fun. I know Atlanta quite well, but me tin might not fit in there :lol:

I'm now in Mississippi, but from Georgia - back and forth there often. A camp out at a good state park or camp ground would be real fun. On the lake, of course. I know a few GA places quite well, but would love to learn some new places too. Wow, this would be fun! A tin boat Bubba Fest!

We had one up at Dale Hollow in October of '09. We stayed up at a resort, which rented both cabins, and rooms in the lodge. I think only 11 -12 showed up (myself included), but those of us that were there had a grand time. There was some talk of one up at Kentucky Lake either spring or fall of '11, but as of yet, nothing has materialized. I don't mind driving a ways up to Kentucky or Tennessee again, but it does seem like there are a lot of people in the southeast.

At one point, Lanier was discussed to, and from a fishing standpoint, as well as location, that is a great lake, for both spotted bass, and stripers. However, if we do something in the North Georgia area, I would have to recommend Carters Lake, over Lanier. The spotted bass fishing is just as good, possibly better. The striper fishing is better. The lake is prettier (looks a lot like Dale Hollow), and given that it is kinda hidden away, it is always a LOT less crowded than Lanier, which is good for those in smaller tins (Fewer idiots running everybody over). Also, the lake has Walleye, and some dang good ones, given what the DNR has been catching in their studies, which some folks may prefer.

Here at Tin Boats we welcome assistance - so if you would like to put something together I urge you to do so.

We had a mini get together in NJ near AC this last year

I WAS THERE!

bassboy1 said:
Also, the lake has Walleye, and some dang good ones, given what the DNR has been catching in their studies, which some folks may prefer.

Really? I did not know we had Walleye in GA. Cool to know.

As others have said, Lanier is not small boat friendly... as far as that goes in the summer it's not even that safe for full-sized bass boats. There's lot of large pleasure boats.

Going to be on Lanier this Sunday and I bet we don't have a lot of traffic then.

Technically I guess it would be a regatta if that ain't too high brow. If one of our members has a farm near a medium sized lake we could rent a couple of porta-potties and plop down on the ground. I know we would clean up after ourselves. Land Between the Lakes may be a good idea. It has the best of both worlds with small lakes in the middle. As a matter of fact, the Nature Center at LBL has Honker Lake right behind it at 60 acres it has crappie and big bass. It's not electric only but may be a 9.9 limit. "Spring 2011 Tin Boat Regatta" has a nice bathtub race sound to it. The Wester Kentucky Jon Boat Club may be able to lend a hand. Guys?

Howard said:
Great idea, =D> let me know and I am there. Lanier might be a bit busy for anyone without a gas motor.

Howard, how about the one in your avatar? :wink: Heheheh, I spent many a day and night on one of those tinners...

Ok, back to topic. If the two ingredients, time and $, work out for me, I would love to go. Let's keep thinking...

In the LBL you have Energy, Bards, and Honker which are no wake lakes. Then you have Hematite and Duncan which are electric only lakes. Of course you have Barkley and Kentucky Lakes for those that like big water. Many camping areas. Motel's at the top of the lakes and the big state lodge with lots of fishing camps/cabins along the outside shores. Google map the lakes and get an idea of size. (it's nice dreaming of something the other side of Christmas). I like the idea of something out of the way like Carter's. I'm open to anything but I like off the beaten path. I think that's why we're tin boaters.

Come to LBL. That way I can sleep in my own bed. :lol:

Many of the smaller lakes (some of them are actually impounded bays off of the big lakes) are closed as migratory bird and eagle sanctuaries until early March or April, I can't remember which.

Most of them are full of crappie and bass, though.