1985 Landau 1436 Jon boat Conversion. yes? or no?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trophybass13

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this website, when i checked this place out, I became inspired to convert my 1985 Landau 1436 Jon Boat to better suit my comfort when fishing. I need your help weighing the options on whether or not i should go through with the process. there are so many positives to converting your jon boat. like comfort, storage, looks, the list goes on... but there are two key things to really think about when it comes to doing this kind of thing. STABILITY, and WEIGHT. I am worried that if I do this, that i will be sorry I did if It ends up weighing too much, or it becomes too tippy. I am 6' tall 160 pounds. and my father who often comes along fishing with me is 5'11" 140 pounds.
when i go fishing I carry a battery, a minn kota 23 lb. thrust trolling motor, 5 gallon gas tank for my motor, and about an extra 100 pounds of total fishing gear. I also use an early 1980's Mercury 7.5 HP shortshaft motor to power my boat. I would like to convert my boat to a similar design to this:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/displayimage.php?album=topn&cat=0&pos=149

Please Respond, and let me know your input on this subject.
Thanks, :)

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining!

That boat you reference is PBW. I think he has a couple of videos on youtube showing it's stability.

Make sure to note where his Front seat is in relation tot he boat. Will it work....of course it will. The decision is yours. I myslef would not...Too narrow for my taste. Instead I would put two nice pedestal folding seats for all day comfort and a carpeted thin removable floor.

I agree, might be a little tippy. I'm a newbie and haven't even started my mod, but I've done some extensive forum trolling. I'd say if you still wanted some sort of deck you could lower it a bit to bring down the center of gravity. Instead of being flush with the top of the boat maybe just 6 inches or so up from the bottom. Then you might be able to still do the pedestal seat thing. But then maybe not as much opportunity for storage. But beggars can't be choosers.

thanks guys, just seeing some of these great answers, and putting more detail of thought into this modification, it has come to my attention that maybe instead of doing what would look the best, or seem the best, i really need to modify it to what is best for the boat, and what it can or cannot handle. so with more great ideas from you guys, and a little quality thinking time. i believe i can have this project
figured out, and underway.

Latest posts