Livewell suggestions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangelcc

Reaction score
Was thinking about different options for a livewell for my boat. I have space for a cooler or I could buy an aluminum livewell. What do y'all suggest? I have a 1448 polar craft. I have plenty of space for either. Just thought someone already ran into this situation where their boat didn't have a livewell. Thanks for any input.

I allso has 1448 with out live well.I go fishing i put steelheeds and catish and walleye on stringer an hand them in water.All other fish i toss back in water.I worried about livewell in me 1448 for weight of water carried in it.I has jet out board on her but prop mite be better for you. You got good question

I have a 25 hp outboard on my boat so like I said I have room for one. I just thought that I would go have some fun at the little tournaments that they have around here, which requires some form of livewell.

My 1468LW Polar Kraft has a live well in the center bench from the factory. It's just an aluminum box inside the center bench with a lid on it. No wireing or pump. Shouldn't be to hard to build the same out of yours.

$49 120qt cooler from Walmart. No holes in boat and removable if you decide you don't need it and makes cleaning easy. Of course it can always be used like a cooler too.

Thanks. That was a thought. I actually have 102 qt cooler. Does anyone have a cooler set up livewell????

Thanks Jim. I think I will go the cooler route. That's to all for the input I really appreciate it.

Here's mine with said pump/kit.

I put a piece of plexi on the inside to keep the fish from launching themselves out when open.

Livewell20Open680x454.jpg

Brine, that's a nice set up you have there!!! Is that cooler green on the outside?? It looks awesome matches great!! Mine is 102 qt and white. Would rather have a set up like yours. How do you put fresh water in your well??? Do you take out your bildge to do that?? Thanks for your help, very helpful!!!

Thanks mangelcc. The cooler is green. They offer it in White as well, but I thought the green would look better in the boat.

Yes, I simply take the pump and drop it overboard to fill the cooler. The cooler is very close to the width of my boat, so it's easy to do so. Reverse the process when emptying/changing out the water. I also found it useful to use the pump form the livewell to fill my bag at weigh-in.

Thanks for all the help!!! I'm going to see if I can find a cooler like the one you have and go from there. Have a great day!!

I suggest this areator, it kicks butt, and has a foam filter built in you can clean. :D

https://www.keepalive.net/

@ Brine:

You got a real nice setup there man, thanks for the pic. I never saw a cooler in that color scheme, very awesome. :D

Brine does your livewell just sit on the floor?? Do you take it in and out of your boat??? I have my cooler in just dont know what to do from there. Build it in permanent or do a floor and take it in and out.

I don't want to confuse you, so in case it's not apparent, this is not the boat that's in my signature line. This is another boat I have that I don't have any mod pics of on here. I don't want you trying to envision this setup with my current build in my sig.

The cooler just sits on the floor (specifically on the hull) not a "floor" of any kind. If you notice at the top of the pic, you'll see wood. I made a battery box in this boat that holds 2 deep cycle batteries for the front trolling motor. I made the box after buying the cooler, so I intentionally made the cooler tight sitting where it is between the middle bench and the battery box. The sides of the v-hull wedge the cooler in from the sides. The only reason I take the cooler out of the boat is to dump out any remaining water that the bilge leaves behind after a weigh-in, and when I want to scrub it out. Other than that, it stays in the boat and acts like a cooler as well as keeping my battery box in place. Because I also use the cooler as dry storage, I don't want anything I put in there stinking like fish, so being able to take the cooler out allows me to clean it more than most would I imagine.

That said, my new boat has a livewell that I built in. I have much more closed storage space in the new rig. I debated on going the same route with the cooler in the new rig, and I probably would have had I not found a livewell that fit (nearly perfect) inside my rear bench and the fact that the transom already had a hole for the fill pump. I'll also plan to have me and my 2 kids in the boat alot, and the cooler would have had to occupy some of the available floor space for whoever was in the middle.

To me, the cooler is just terribly easy, affordable, and convenient. No holes in the boat, one pump, and the pump was wired to a cig lighter adapter.

I got the one pictured below, for $80. That included shipping. This was from Great Lakes Skipper (Their e-bay store-shipping is usually cheaper when you buy that way vs on their site)

A good used Rule Aerator pump for 5 bucks, a new spray head for $6, and I'll buy the hose locally from one of the RV surplus shops.

This was the best deal I found for a built in livewell. The added bonus is that it's perfectly sized for a Musky boat.13483-1-lg_600x600.jpg

Attachments

• 13483-1-lg.jpg
    13483-1-lg.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,325

Latest posts