What Kinda Grease?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbursell

Reaction score
This picture will be part of my thread for Resurrecting my 1652 MonArk for the trailer re-build. I've got the trailer apart, re-painted and ready to re-assemble. This is where the tongue slips into the frame and was covered in this yellowish grease. I'm sure this was put there to keep down corrosion and, from what I can tell, it did a good job over a period of several years. It was so thick, it was almost more like some type of wax than grease. I would like to use the same type of product again. Problem is - I have no idea what kind of grease this is. Any suggestions on what it is and where I can find more? Thanks in advance.

DSCF5165.jpg

I would say it's a White Lithium grease. It's very stable in heat and cold and won't wash away in water.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I would say it's a White Lithium grease. It's very stable in heat and cold and won't wash away in water.

Hey, thanks. I think I've seen it at Tractor Supply. There's my next purchase.

I would suggest that you DO NOT grease this non-moving part. Grease will actually trap water and absorb it. It may have been put there because it was a tight fit - if that is the case use wax (auto type) to get the part in the hole

Yep, it is a tilting trailer. But, to my knowledge, never used as such. From what I could see during the disassembly, it didn't look like the pin had ever been pulled. And the ramps I'll be using it on around here don't create any need to use the tilt feature. So, should I still grease? I'm leaning towards "Yes, it can't hurt."

lbursell said:
Yep, it is a tilting trailer. But, to my knowledge, never used as such. From what I could see during the disassembly, it didn't look like the pin had ever been pulled. And the ramps I'll be using it on around here don't create any need to use the tilt feature. So, should I still grease? I'm leaning towards "Yes, it can't hurt."

Keep leaning in that direction - You might have a need to use the tilt at some point so you might as well make sure it works properly.

We think alike. I learned a long time ago - Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Thanks for the input, gentlemen.

Latest posts