My materials, the final step

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12_Tinner

Reaction score
Hey guys, I put together my final thread before I start my project in just 2 months. I have wanted to learn as much as I could before starting this project. I made a materials list and I want to know what else I need if anything before I do this project. Again for people that have not read my stuff. I'm doing a low casting deck up front in my 12' boat, plywood that overlays the middle and front bench. A small bow box will be put in for some storage and mounting of a fish finder and new trolling motor. Then another piece of wood will be placed on small blocks(to keep off of floor) between the rear bench and middle bench to give a more stable flat surface to stand on. Aside from that paint and fun stuff will be added.

Material List For Boat Project

- Plywood(½”)
- Marine/Outdoor Carpet(Blue)
-Waterproofing wood product
-Carpet Glue
-Motorguide Varimax (55lb Thrust Transom Mount(on bow))
-Lowrance Mark-5x Fish Finder
-Sand Paper(not sure what grade to remove paint)
-Varnish(rear bench top)
-Hinge’s for bow box storage
-Bow light(something battery powered and simple)
-New safety kit
-2 boat fenders(white or black) to protect paint job
-1 full Pedestal kit for bow seat
-Something to seal a rivet, one small leak that always gets my feet wet…Sikliflex was good(can’t spell it) it was labelled a construction sealant and worked great on another boat.

And aside from this I’m not sure what else I’ll need. Once all this stuff is done(with the exception of the troller/fish finder) then I can start my work. The work will take place during the first week of March when I am home for spring break so I want to have all the materials first. I got the skill saws and stuff already.

So my questions are what are my costs going to be. The electronics I know the cost for but from the first item to the bottom what should I expect for this project to cost. The boat was free so I don’t mind slightly better products for this job, and there might be a few dollars I won’t need to spend from gift cards to various stores.

The full paint job will run me $100 bucks…maybe $80 if I help the uncle do it some. He has the spry guns and all the fancy stuff, guess the stuff he adds to the paint creates a great shine and durability. Dark black on the outside and am still wanting white on the inside but might go to a tan/cream color…not sure yet.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_03 Oct. 05 14.39.jpg
    ScreenHunter_03 Oct. 05 14.39.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,024
Are you going to remove all the paint?
If so you might want some paint stripper. Especially if you are pressed for time.

Also don't forget 2x boards and fasteners to support your decks.

The 1/2" Pressure treated plywood is around $35. I'll grab 2 sheets, going to support the deck with ply wood some how. Still waitint until the start of March(end of ice fishing) then I'll do the boat in a weeks time.

Settled on a Varimax that I'm going to mount on the bow and the Lowrance Mark 5x fishfinder. Just need those elestronics, paint, wood and carpet and a few little things and ill be all done. I'll post the pictures of the parts to another thread as I have a few closer to the time to do the build.

12_Tinner said:
The 1/2" Pressure treated plywood is around $35. I'll grab 2 sheets, going to support the deck with ply wood some how. Still waitint until the start of March(end of ice fishing) then I'll do the boat in a weeks time.

Don't get pressure treated, just get regular exterior plywood.
The chemicals used in treated lumber will react with the aluminum.

thad. said:
12_Tinner said:

Don't get pressure treated, just get regular exterior plywood.
The chemicals used in treated lumber will react with the aluminum.

Point taken, I asked for it assuming it would be good. Never bought it tho, just asked price point. I'll ask for the regular exterior stuff then, I'm assuming the wood would be a few loonies cheaper. Before putting on the outdoor carpet should I apply lacker to the wood to help with waterproofing it a little?

Well it's not much but it's a start. I picked up all the bracket's i'll need, a small lock latch and some hinges for the bow box.

Next up is a sealant to cover rivet's with on floor(covered with wood), a jig saw and some lacker to waterproof the wood.

2 more months and I can start(march) and finish the entire project in 1 week.

Tightlines,
Mike

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 05 17.12.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 05 17.12.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 855
Also, I have decided that removing the old paint would be best. Is there a name I can go to Canadian Tire with next week and pick up a can of something. This is entirely new to me, I'll search around some but I'm looking for something that I can brush on then take off with steel wool or a sponge.

Please share a link to a thread if it's really good!!

Thanks,
Mike

Let me know how you make out with the paint stripping. I'm debating whether or not to do mine, or just a light sand and paint over it.

EE