Confusion about aluminum primer .... choice and necessity

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I noted this comment recommending Valspar primer..

"The recommended primer for undercoating of the anti rust gloss enamels. Use on unpainted ferrous metal, clean off rust before applying primer. Galvanized and aluminum metal surfaces should be primed with galvanized metal primer"

My present boat has a pretty good painted surface right now that covers 90% of the boat. Some touch up is needed, but that is easy. However, there are two spots near the stern where the paint has been blasted off. It appears that a former owner didn't have proper fenders...or he drove over a very sandy/rocky road a lot. The paint is worn though completely back there.

I'd like a recommendation of a SPECIFIC aluminum primer that would work..Reading above, they recommend using a galvanized primer...which worries me...being used on aluminum. Any help appreciated.

thanks Rich

p.s. FINALLY got her out for her maiden last week. Rode smooth and took the turns very well... I am a happy owner. RG

I believe a Zinc Chromate primer is recommended for bare aluminum. I used the Napa Zincrom primer in a spray can. Was like $5 a can. Just a light dusting is all that was recommended. But then after the ZC, I would also use regular primer. I used Rustoleum bare metal primer.

You want to use a self etching primer. I've used Rustoleum spray cans in the past. You can get it at Walmart in the automotive section for about $5/can.

Latest posts