Newbie here with some questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usingmyrights

Reaction score
I've lurked here off and on, but definately have the bug. I've been looking over craigslist for a deal, but haven't seen the same deals I was seeing last year. A co-worked said that he had a Wellcraft 14' (width?), with a 25hp engin (don't recall brand) and trailer he'd sell me for $1k. Seems like thats too big of an engin for that boat, but thats what he's been using. Also I'm unsure about the Wellcraft brand and didn't seem to be able to find any reviews on their jon boats. The guy said it already had a deck on it too. Does this sound like a decent deal. My biggest concern is lack of info on the boat quality. Thanks in advance

Looking online I think its Weldcraft also and that I just heard him wrong. Still can't seem to find much on them.

I have a 25hp Yamaha on my 14' 1470mv Alumacraft. It will scoot but I like it that way. I have it trimmed up to about half and it is very stable at full tilt. It the motor is a strong runner and the boat is not narrow, a grand is a good deal overall. Taking into consideration the shape of boat motor and trailer.

Too much power can be a bad thing...but...if the boat is rated for it, then the power may be "just right".

I have a wide 16...(160W Lowe) with a 40 that runs fine. It is, however, rated for 70 hp!

Sounds like a good deal, if you can have the motor checked out first. I always do a compression test and hear it run. That doesn't tell you anything if the lower unit has issues, but a mechanic can tell you a lot for $100 or so. Rich

Latest posts