Salt water boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cubman

Reaction score
I am looking for a large flat bottom hull. I found a 1660 for an incredibly good price, but there is a problem. The boat has spent its whole life in salt water. Here is what the owner says:

The boat is aluminum and there has been a couple of pin hole leaks that I apply 3m 5200 bond to it and problem solved. The pin hole leaks in case you are not familiar are from the aluminum oxidizing with salt.

What do you think? Should I avoid this boat altogether? Will the oxidation continue even if I only use the boat in fresh water?

Thanks

My boat developed those problems a few years ago. I would always rinse my boat down good but apparently salt would still get trapped behind the wood transom. I cleaned it up with a wire brush and applied 5200 sealant. It's held up and I haven't noticed it growing. My rot was above the water line so its not that much of an issue.
I would check the boat out thoroughly for corrosion and how many patches he has had to make on the boat.
If the boat is cheap enough then buy it, use it up then sell it as a pond boat or sell it to a scrap yard.
I probably wouldn't sink a bunch of money into fixing it up if its in poor shape because it might turn into a leaking headache down the road.

Latest posts