Silly question, can I transport my motor on my boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharaoh2

Reaction score
I just bought my first gas motor that I'm actually going to use. It's going on a 12 foot aluminum fishing boat. I know lot's of guys keep their much heavier motors on their boats year round. My motor weighs about 40 pounds. The only thing I'm concerned with is my boat is fairly light weight. Is it safe to transport my boat on it's trailer with the motor attatched or will that put too much stress on the transom on rough roads? If I can, I'll bungee the motor in place so it doesn't bounce around. I'm just worried about stress cracks. With my electric, I always just tossed it in the back. Thanks in advance folks.

I've always just ran with the motor on the transom either locked or tied down. Never had a problem over all these years. Since your motor only weighs 40 lbs I'd just throw it in the boat and put it on the transom at the lake if you're concern about driving over rough roads.

Thanks guys. I'd rather just leave it in place. I'll look into that bracket tommorow, I see how it would work. Merry Christmas!

Heck I wouldn't even worry about a transom saver unless the lower unit is near the ground. I have a transom saver on my boat and the only reason I have it is to keep the lower unit from hitting the ground. The transom saver doesn't take any weight of the motor off the transom. If you have the clearance where your motor won't hit the ground then just let it hang and throw a strap from one side of the transom to the other to keep the motor from bouncing. 40 lbs is nothing so you don't have anything to worry about.

A transom saver will get rid of the twisting motion on the transom, but I wouldnt worry about a 40 lb. motor, if your transom is in good condition just keep the leg strapped to the trailer so it cant bounce. Dont throw it in the boat, my buddy did that, hit a good bump, and the motor punched a hole in his boat.

Thanks guys. I'm sure I'm just being stupid, I see guys running around with 9.9's on boats like mine and I know they have no problems. Besides if I do bugger up my boat that's a good reason to get the Lund I'm lusting over. :D

That's an excellent question; thanks for asking. I bought a transom saver from Cabelas about four years ago, but have never used it because the package says to only use it on a motor with power tilt, which, my 15 hp Johnson does not have. I can't figure why not to use it though, so I think I will give it a try. Let us know what you do, but I would not just lay it in the boat.

Latest posts