What a find!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gouran01

Reaction score
Picked this fine hunk of equipment up off of c-list today for $50 !!! And it runs! from what i can tell with 3 minutes of research its a 57 10HP johnson seahorse. Model # QD 18 (for imput or more info if you have it). It's the perfect piece for the 9ft nastalgic wooden wooden hydro I'm building. Also came with an OMC fuel tank, rekon I got my $50 worth there alone.

IMGP1349.jpg

IMGP1345.jpg

IMGP1344.jpg

IMGP1343.jpg

IMGP1342.jpg

IMGP1350.jpg

My Dad and I had a '57 7.5hp Johnson as a kicker on our saltwater boat (first a 18' Starcraft CC tin then a 20' Livingston walkaround glass boat) That thing would troll for hours without a problem and even became the get home motor a couple times, running full throttle for an hour or more.
Really good motor you got there.

I'll give you $55 for it .... no wait, $60 :)

Congrats. Hope I find something like that trolling CL!

Awesome! I've got my great grandfather's '57 Seahorse 3 sitting in the garage. It's all in pieces now because I have to install a new piston (one of them froze). Can't wait to get it back together in the spring and get that thing running again.

Nice find. Looks like it may be a long shaft. Measure from bottom of the motor to the cavitation plate (big plate just above the prop) 15 inches is a short shaft, 20 inches is a long shaft. Make sure you set up your transom so the cavitation plate is even with the keel (bottom of the boat) within an inch or two. When your shaft is too deep, you get drag and when your shaft is too shallow you start sucking air from above. If you clean and paint your motor up, order 9.9hp decals. The man won't be able to tell the difference. (oh, now I did not give you that kind of advice, I take it back).

Awesome find! You can't do better than $50 for a working motor and tank. I have a 1958 Evinrude Fastwin that I paid $150 for. it didn't run and I ended up sinkning another $900 into it, but it now runs like a top and I love it. They don't make them like that anymore.

Surprisingly, parts are still pretty easy to come by, and affordable, for these old OMC motors.

You should be able to find the manual for it at www.marineengine.com.

Nice, i was almost gonna call on that but decided by the time i got there it would be gone! I`m closer to flint

lol, well its good to see a "tin member" got it. I picked up a `55 evinrude 7.5 with the tank back in Oct for $50. I just about got it back together - sandblasted the motor and pressure tank, now both have new paint , new lower seals, the whole ignition has new parts , rebuilt carb, polished up the brass prop. I just got to get the the decals for it now. Good luck with it there nice motors, run 24:1 mixture -no less.

Latest posts