81 Wards Sea king. Holes and pitting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maui_jim_11

Reaction score
First let me say that I am new to this Forum this is a great website. the guys on here have done some very impressive work and have a great knowledge of aluminum boats. I my self have never owned an aluminum boat before and am in need of some much needed advise. I live in Baltimore Maryland and have come into possession of a 1981 Wards 14foot semi V aluminum Jon boat.

I took the boat because I love to bass fish and my Bay boat is not able to go in our local reservoir (Loch Raven reservoir, electric only). The guy I got the boat from left it sit in brackish water in the Chesapeake for a while. From letting it sit it had started to collect barnacles. After pulling the boat out and scraped the barnacles it had started eating through the bottom of the hull #-o (small BB size holes about 10 or 12, the areas where the holes area is not worn thin and is still very sturdy.

Can some one please give me some advise as to what method I can use to fill these holes, I was thinking along the lines of Marine Tex, or fiberglass patches and then maybe using fiberglass cloth to Glass the entire exterior hull of the boat.. I am not opposed to getting the boat welded I would just like to see what my other options are.

By the way I am planning on doing a complete mod to the boat using aluminum angle to build a floor as well as building a small deck to the stern and a larger deck on the bow with storage underneath.

Any advice you be greatly appreciated.

Jim.