New aluminum boats for electric only

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randall

Reaction score
I have decided to sell my 80's Tracker that I set up for all electric lakes a few years back. I am looking at new boats with at least the front deck being all aluminum built in by the manufacturer. My main reason for getting a different boat is that I need a boat that is lighter to get it up my driveway, launch at a few bad ramps, and into a small space at the side of the house so weight is a little bit of an issue for me. Looking at anything from 15ft plus. Since this is the tin boat site this has to be the place to ask. What is the best boat out there to fit my needs in the newer models? Any preferences or opinions?

randall said:
with at least the front deck being all aluminum built in by the manufacturer.

This is the part you will have trouble finding in a light boat.

I didn't quite realize what the intended goal was when I answered your post on GON. I thought you just wanted a new boat, not needed one to be lighter. #-o

Anyway, was your old Tracker one of the older riveted ones? I'm not really sure that you can get too much lighter than that, as they (hulls at least) were fairly light. Now, if you have waterlogged plywood in it, that will certainly account for a good bit of weight.

Finding a boat without plywood underneath the bow deck is going to be tough. Most companies have it, G3 does, Alumacraft does, etc. Also, not having the plywood isn't going to gain you that much in weight savings. Sure, some weight can be shaved here and there, especially if that is the main concern when designing the layout, but it isn't drastic, especially when you consider the heavy things are the trailer, batteries, trolling motors, etc. Most of my customers go with aluminum for the longevity more than anything.

If you really wanted to cut weight, things like swapping out a steel trailer for an aluminum one would be somewhere that an advantage would be seen, but at a cost. Eliminating a battery is good for another 60 pounds or so, but that might be prohibitive when fishing (aren't you a guide?). From a practical standpoint, unless you are dealing with waterlogged plywood and saturated flotation foam, I'm not seeing many ways to cut any significant weight.

What are you towing with?

You may want to see who has a 1642 instead of a 1648 and see if you're happy with the stability. That's what mine is. The 6 inches less of width will save some weight, and it might help you with your clearance on the side of the house.

My reason is multiple reasons. I live on the top of a steep hill . My hull weight according to an 80's catalog I had laying around is around 1000 pounds. I see plenty of boats out there with a hull weight much lighter and lighter trailers. I could deck the boat in all aluminum and geet another trailer that would reduce the weight but that is expensive to have done and I am in the middle of some big projects with my swimbaits that have to get done soon so I can't do it myself . I don't make most of my income from guiding anymore and have some new plans for the guide service that a lighter boat would be helpful in getting into some of the spots as well as make traveling with the boat less expensive. Some people have suggested moving or getting a larger truck but I made the move to where I am because I have a workshop to build swimbaits at a lake which makes my life a lot easier right now. My truck is a Ford Ranger with a 4 cyl engine and I need the efficiency as much as I drive. So weight and time are the big issues. Just want to sell mine and go pick up something lighter I can use right away as opposed to having it built.

1000 pounds! That's easy to beat.

A Lowe roughneck r1455 would be half that.
It has a decent size deck on it too.

Latest posts