How would you cut this piece of aluminum?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOUSE

Reaction score
I have a really long nose on my boat covered with 3mm thick aluminum. I don't think it provides much structural integrity, and it will be replaced by a front fishing platform anyways so I'd like to cut half of it out to make room to stand. I will also need to remove some of the rivets holding it in place along the edges. Any suggestions on cutting that straight across while still attached to the boat?
Also, can I just hammer the bottom until the rivets pop out or is there a special tool for that?

thanks!

Here's 2 pictures of the part:
PC200469.jpg

&
PC200476.jpg

I want to cut it around here:
PC200476-1.jpg

I would leave it cause it looks cool. :)

If I did take it off I would use my cut off tool.
The edges would be rough and need to be smoothed out.

As an FYI, I was forwarned (by bassboy as I recall) about making sure that if you use a cutoff tool, to make sure the cutter is designed to cut aluminum and that most big-box retailers don't sell it. Apparently it presents a safety issue with the potential of creating shrapnel from the tool. Gladly, I don't have first hand experience.

I would drill out the rivets instead of trying to hammer them out. To me, it would seem to make the most sense to remove the piece entirely, cut it, and reattach it with rivets or bolts.

Personally I'd leave it like it is,but to each his own...as for cutting aluminum I use my circular saw with a good carbide tipped blade wich gets a coat of natural bees wax,never had a problem with that method (wear good safety goggles) just set the depth of the blade a tiny bit deeper than the thickness of the aluminum,,,all the luck in the world with your project Mike

okay, sweet advice guys...thanks a ton. As cool as it looks, it's taking up space & it's gotta go! I'll take your advice and sand it down or put a piece of protective tubing over it so I don't cut **** feet off. Taking it off completely and putting it back in might also work, I didn't consider that one either, thanks!
My friend seems to think I can use my dremel to cut it with a circular bit like this one, would that work?

https://www.amazon.com/Wheels-Sprue-Cutting-Blade-Dremel/dp/B0037GD2Q8
10 Cut Off Wheels Sprue Cutting Blade Tools for Dremel
Product Description:
Ten (10) pc 1 1/2"Cut Off Wheels for Dremel This set contains 10 pieces of metal cutter blades The cutting discs are excellent to cut thin metal sheet, brass/copper/zinc pipes, etc The cutting discs center holes are 1/4" The cutting discs diameters are 1 1/4" The cutting discs are made from top quality rubber bonded aluminum material
https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HJS1QoeQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you don't have a cutoff tool that you can use for aluminum, you can drill a hole next to the previous hole along the line you want cut and break off the scrap piece. Then you will have to smooth out the remaining edge. That is the hard way to do it.

I've got a dremel with that same disc, and i assure you it would shatter.

Here is a quote i just pulled off another site about using cut off wheels not designed for aluminum.

"Soft metal will plug up the holes in abrasive wheels then when it expands with heat it will make it crack and explode."

Jig saw with a metal blade, or circular saw with carbide teeth would be my preference.

I don't think it provides much structural integrity...

Probably provides more than you think. Helps resist torsional forces.

I use a coarse flap disk (80 - 120 grit) to sand the rivets flush, then one whack with a hammer and pin punch will knock them out.

As far as cutting them, saber saw, sawzall, circular saw with a carbide blade will all work.

You can get a cut off disk for an angle grinder that is made for nonferrous metals (these are made differently than the aluminum oxide wheels designed for steel - designed to disintegrate faster as to not load up with soft aluminum and blow up. If you've ever seen what a blown up grinder disk does to a concrete block wall, the danger will be evident) at most decent welding supply stores (big box stores won't have them). However, the ones designed for masonry, sold at the big box stores, will often suffice.

However, you'll rarely find any of those in my shop, as the cut quality is pretty bad, and they are very aggressive. However, in a bind, they can be used, and the flap disks or flat sanding disks do a pretty good job of cleanly finishing it.

Latest posts