Identification? California registration?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jac4295

Reaction score
I just bought my first aluminum boat. Its 12 foot and old, and thats about all I know about it. Here is a couple pictures and I was hoping someone would have an idea of what it is or how to find out. I have started building decking inside and painting the outside, no leaks so that was good, hopefull I'll have it on the water soon. I was also looking for someone who could tell me how I can get it papered through California D.M.V. without a title or any identifying information on the boat. All I have is a bill of sale and I've never owned a boat before. I appreciate whatever info you might have for me.

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

I registered a boat with nothing but a bill of sale and it was way to easy. Boat had no CF #'s, no title or nothing. Same deal with the trailer. This was at the Modesto, CA DMV. I think I got lucky because i've heard of horror stories from other people that had a heck of a time registering their boat but i've also heard of people having the same luck as I did. My advice is to go to the info desk at DMV and tell them your situation and they will tell you what you need and give you any forms needed. You don't have to tell them you already bought the boat. Fill out the form the best you can (legally or illegally) and see what they say. If they deny you then try your luck at another DMV office or if there isn't one nearby then go back to your local DMV and try and get help from a different person. Odd's are pretty good that you will eventually get someone that doesn't give a crap about their job and put the boat in your name.
You might have better luck telling them the boat has never been registered because it has never had a motor on it or it has been on a private pond its entire life and that it has belonged to your family since new.

Thank you for the advise. I'll try my luck. I also live in the Modesto area so hopefully I get the same person you did.

I wouldn't put too much money or time in to it until it's legally yours.

Latest posts