Jon Boat Painting?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkalski

Reaction score
I am in the process of modifying my 14ft jon boat, and am planning on painting it. B/c of my experience, auto paint is my first choice. But wouldn't it require ALOT or body work?>Every imperfection would show right?

I'm by no means an expert, but the higher gloss the surface has, the more the imperfections show. I am struggling with this decision also for my 14' Sportsman rebuild. I want to have an automobile finish but don't want to go through all that work. My boat is actually pretty good, but still far from perfect. Let us see what you do and how it turns out.

Go to boating supply store and get some epoxy based primer for aluminum. its a lil thicker than regular spray can primer, than feather it down; or light sand... than paint over that, works well at getting rid of the imperfections!!

It's not that its so much work, just mabye not worth it when I could just get a classic jon boat paint. But what the hell ill try it just gotta wait for warmer temperatures....

A well painted boat is a thing of beauty..However, I would rather have mine factory green and let it show the scratches and dings...tells everybody I have a boat to fish from and I enjoy every moment the boat and I scrape against trees, bump into boat docks etc. No ofense ment but its like a quail gun that doesn't have any scratches or dings from being takin through the weeds and blackberry bushes. Those seem like they spend their life inside.
some good suggestions have been given...good luck and let us see the finished product..It will be great I'm sure.
peace
ron

Ok i painted mine and loved the results!

U will need to clean it really good then completely sand the boat to "rough" up the surface. Then once u have done all this u need to get it ready to paint by tack clothing it then wiping it down with mineral spirits or whatever to get rid of grease and stuff. Then spot prime any metal with self etching primer (you can find this at walmart for $5 a can) once dry tack cloth again and u are ready for paint.

Ues if u use a shiny paint it will show imperfections. But u have to remember that it is a jon boat and it will not stay perfect. SOOOOOO go here:

https://www.parkercoatings.com/decoy.html
Order which ever duck boat paint u like. I used bay gray and love it. I paid 32 plus shipping i think for mine. It was like $46 all together for the gallon.

Here is my build thread just look tbrough the pics to see my paint:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12178&start=0

Also use.the search feature and type in parker coatings or parker. Alot of guys use it and it is good stuff. Remember its all in the prep

Mine was painted with auto paint with a hardener in it, Looks good but not as durable as a epoxy. I really like all the comments I get on it. Mine is painted with a high gloss, It shows every little bend and inperfection but it doen't bother me. I just wish she was bigger, Shes pretty enough.

Attachments

• 338188486149_0_0.jpg
    338188486149_0_0.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,406
  • 338188323845_0_0.jpg
    338188323845_0_0.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,406
  • 338156603781_0_0.jpg
    338156603781_0_0.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,406
If you use automotive paint you need to sand it with 220 grit, If there where any bad places that need body filler get those places as shallow of dents as you can then scuff them up with something between 24 and 80 grit paper. Don't put body filler on any thicker than a 1/4". You need to use etching primer on aluminium or the paint won't hold on. Use primer sufacer after that. wet sand that with 400 grit. Then color and clear. That is how most people around here paint their aluminium boats and most of them have had good luck out of them. Alot of it has to do with the prep work but like I said before you need to use etching primer.

Latest posts