Contest Banner for Troling Motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkagBass

Reaction score
The state requires that all boats participating in a tournament display a "Contest" banner on the engine of the boat. I am involved in first electric only club in the state and I am wondering how others, if this rule applies, abide by similar rules.

Most just use orange ribbon. Comes in a roll like caution tape. Tear each member off about 2 ft piece and tie it to the trolling motor.

fender66 said:
Never heard of such a rule. Kind of odd. What' the purpose?

I think the state wants to identify the contestants. One reason would be because WA has slot limits for bass. Only 1 fish over 17" may be retained unless you are in a contest. Those rules are waived when you have a tournament permit.

The banners that the big boats use are elastic. Florescent green on one side and orange on the other. The green side is displayed during the contest and if your having boat problems you can reverse it to the orange side and that is a signal to other competitors that you need assistance.

Thanks for the tip on the orange ribbon. All I can say is "Duh!, why didn't I think of that"

pick up the roll at home depot or Lowe's tie it on after you check the boat live well in the morning and you are good to go
In the trail that I run our distress signal is waving the net in the air any other competitor that sees the net will head over and render assistance

No problem for the tip. I have actually never heard of it being a state law. It is mostly used in tournaments to tell other boaters who is in the tournament. Most tournaments have a rule that say you cannot fish within a certain distance of anybody else in the tournament.

Latest posts