mig welding with a spool gun

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flat Bottom

Reaction score
Ok I have a couple questions. First let me say that i have alot of experience with welding, but not a whole lot with aluminum. last time was probubly 6 or more years ago. I have a miller 180 auto and a 100 series spoolgun. I have quite a bit of welding on my boat comming up, you can see what i'm talking about on my build. basically i'm looking for tips and pointers for welding 1/8 inch aluminum, I havn't heard very good things about butt welding aluminum (ie it is hard and doesn't work very well with a spool gun) so i'm pretty much set on an overlap weld. However any advice is more than welcome especially if you have any kind of experience welding with a spool gun. A Tig was too expensive of an option for me haha :)

I have my own tig welder now but I used to weld awnings built with 1" square aluminum eight wall with a spool gun with no problems.Run the gun as hot as you can without burning through.All the awnings I built where butt welded with no problems.

awesome, i'm going to have to try it, and do a little practicing before i get to the actual boat. Me and my bro used to weld pop cans together with a tig, they are nice, but pretty spendy.