Hatch questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seasprite

Reaction score
I'm restoring an 1848 sea sprite. I'm decking the front and back. My question is it easier to make the hatch square, or round the edges. I like the way the rounded edges look,might be hard to cut out. I'll be carpeting it after I'm done. When I cut the hatch out of the deck ( using 3/4 plywood) how much space should I leave for marine carpet? I'd like to keep the hatches tight as possible. Is there a rule to leave 1/2 space or so to accommodate the carpet and hatch.

I think either rounded or cornered will work. I did cornered on mine. Carpetng shouldn't be an issue on either. Also I cut the wood about 1/8 inch short for the carpet to fit. If its a little tight it will loosen over time. You can also cut a small piece to try first and get the exact measurement you will need.

I would think square would be easier to carpet as it won't bunch up. As far as tapping I recommend dry fitting and trimming little at a time to get a nice tight fit.