puzzling water leak ?? Help if you can...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I've got a 160W Lowe aluminum boat, configured as a bass boat. Due to the bass-boat arrangement, I cannot see the inside of the hull hardly at all. Decking and carpet covers 99% of the normally visible areas. The boat is ten years old and seems perfect for my use.

I can see into the bow anchor storage area.... and into the battery storage area at the stern. No holes or tears show up. By filling those areas up with water... I think I have eliminated them.

However, strangely, it still takes on a gallon or so of water every time that I have taken it out for a half day's fishing. I can empty most of the water using the installed bilge pump. On one occasion, when I went to a "no-wake lake. it didn't take on any water. So, the water intrusion happens when the boat is on plane.

At first, I had a problem with the speedo tubing. It had come off of the gauge behind the dash. It was pouring water into the cockpit when on plane. I found that and put it back on. No problem there, now.

I thought that, perhaps, the bait/live-well plumbing was causing the problem. I plugged both the inlet and the outlet of the baitwell/livewell but that didn't stop the water intrusion.

I brought the boat home, and while it was on the trailer, I put about five inches of water inside of the hull, with a hose. No water leaked or dripped out at all. Dry as a bone for at least ten minutes. I didn't go higher than five inches, as I didn't want to cover the batteries or other connections in the stern storage area. I can see the outside of the hull above the five inches height, and no holes nor punctures appear there.

My next possibility was the outlet of the bilge pump. It exits only a few inches above the water level when on plane. I thought that, perhaps, water is finding its way back up the exit hose. Next time out, I will, temporarily, plug that to see if it helps. However, it is hard for me to envision a full gallon, or more, coming back up the hose from splash-by.

Any other ideas or thoughts appreciated. thanks, Rich

Speedo tube ruptured somewhere or perhaps the wake coming over the transom? That's kind of what it sounds like if it only does it on plane.

My boat takes on water through the bilge discharge if someone stands on the side of the rear deck and submerges the thru-hull fitting. I need to put a check valve in the line to stop that. It doesn't take long to put a lot of water in a boat through a 3/4" or 1" line.

I was going to suggest the bait / livewell plumbing but you have already considered that.. seems like you have everything coverd or already thought of.

Sorry to hear you have a (small) problem with such an awesome looking boat. See you this spring on Silver Lake...

Good luck on finding the cause... I will be keeping an eye on this thread for any new ideas..

Outdoorsman.

I just thought of something else..

you don't get a roostertail off of a transducer or the side of your lower unit, do you? Either of those spraying back over the transom can put more water in the boat than you would think as well.

I have a Lowe Stinger 160. My boat also had water in it only after running on plane. I noticed water hitting the cap where the side of the boat and the transom meet. It was just screwed on and water was going underneath the cap and getting into the bilge area. I took it off and siliconed all around the caps on both sides. Next time out no more water. Hope this helps.

Mikfort Aha! Nearly the same boat, the same manufacturer and size, too.

Certainly makes sense. Someone already opined that it was surely near the stern since it only happened while on plane. I am taking a ride to the boat barn right now to check that one out! thanks, Rich

mikfort51 YOU ARE THE Best! ...It appears that my boat has the same cap(s) and would display the same issues. I pulled the two caps off and sure, enough, I found about a one by two inch gap between the upper decking and the hull. The caps extend over the side gunnel, (gunwale) ...catches and directs the water into the gap..and down into the hull.

I didn't have enough caulking with me ( it would have taken two tubes).;..but I did have some 30 gallon garbage bags at the boat barn. I stuffed an ENTIRE bag into the crevice on each side. Lots of room in there! I now believe that the problem is permanently solved. The cap holds the "stuffing" well in place.

I won't know for sure until some time next week. The lake I am fishing tomorrow only allows trolling motors/no wake operation.

THANK YOU AGAIN! regards, Rich

I sent a letter to the President of Lowe to let him know about MKFORT51's fix for the problem. letter is below. Rich

January 18, 2011

Mr. Les Crawford, President
Lowe Boats
2900 Industrial Dr.
Lebanon. MO 65536

Dear Mr. Crawford,

I attempted to send this note to your organization using the “CONTACT US” system on your web site. It was rejected for “invalid comments” whatever that means?????

The bottom line is simple. I am a happy customer. I purchased an older Lowe boat but discovered a small issue. It takes on a gallon or two of water every time I run on plane for very long. Posting that message on a boating site (www.tinboats.net), I found another member who had solved the problem. I thought your organization would want to know. It might be an easy fix for the next similar design.

My abridged comments to the member are repeated below...

“ mikfort51 YOU ARE THE Best! ...It appears that my boat has the same cap(s)
( CAPS THAT COVER THE 90 DEGREE ANGLE JOINING THE GUNNELS AND TRANSOM.) and would display the same issues. I pulled the two caps off and sure, enough, I found about a one by two inch gap between the upper decking and the hull. The caps extend over the side gunnel, (gunwale) ...catch and direct the water into the gap..and down into the hull. “

I Hope this will help your manufacturing guys fix this issue on the next run, and perhaps handle some other customer's complaints.

Sincerely,

xxx