Buyer's Guide

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDr

Reaction score
So I have been saving my pennies for a while now, with a little left to go, but I'm close to my target price for my first Jon boat. I have tried searching this site, and maybe my skills aren't the best, but I haven't come across a guide like I'm looking for. I was hoping that I could draw on all of your expertise and get some good tips for what to look for when purchasing a used Jon boat. For the most part any general tips would be great but I am also curious in what size I should be looking for. I will mainly be using it on local lakes and since I live in central Florida the St Johns. I would really like it though if I could also use it in the flats around mosquito lagoon and possibly Canaveral national seashore.

I was thinking about a 14 foot but I'm really not sure if that's big enough for flats stuff. From what I gather I would want a V bottom to battle the chop but I am curious if a flat bottom would hold up as well. Other than making sure there are no holes or, for lack of a better term, "ribs" are broken I really have no clue what I'm looking for.

This will be my first boat purchase ever so any and all tips are greatly appreciated. :)

This is a very broad subject that you could ask 500 people and get 500 different answers.

Here is my 2 cents. Go with the biggest you can afford. I run a modified Vee 14' 48" ALweld set up for super skinny flats/marsh fishing. I spent a week last year fishing the flats in Homosassa Springs, FL and it did great. A 14' gets really cramped quickly. Most of the fiberglass "Florida Flats Boats" are 16' to under 20'. I've had several triple digit fish tow me over a mile in the 14'. Makes it fun 8) I do not suggest you try to put a triple digit Tarpon or shark inside of a 14' :LOL2:

The problem with a flat boat is the beating you take in a moderate chop and hull slap is a problem flats fishing. A modified Vee or Vee hull will help a lot but not eliminate it. I prefer an all welded boat. I've had a lot of problems with rivets rattling loose.

The good thing about a tinboat is you can repair it fairly easy as you can see via Tinboats and the possibilities are endless. I wouldn't let a small hole (missing screw or loose rivet) or slight damage bother you to much. It may give you a real bargaining tool.

To me, purchasing a used motor is the worst part. You just do not know what you are getting. If you find a boat, post it on tinboats so you can get peoples opinions. Everyones situations are different. I fished close to 100 days last year and most of my trips are over 30 miles round trip by boat. So my needs are very different than a normal fisherman.

Hope this helps some.

Latest posts