boat carpet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcbouy

Reaction score
im having a really hard time deciding on boat carpet.i can go either loop or regular outdoor strand type.both are uv treated,the strand type has a thicker backing,and is a bit more plush than the loop,but looks like a pain to clean.ie sand.the loop is tight and thin,but looks like it will hold on to a fish hook if i drop one. i price proper boat carpet at almost $200 for what i need.that aint gonna happen.id really appreciate some thoughts,pros cons on both, thanks.

I bought a medium grade carpet from Home Depot for around 50 cents per square foot.This not what we used to call indoor outdoor carpet. I used about 100 square feet and glued it down over varnished plywood and painted aluminum. Looks good so far but this is a new project that has not been used yet.

don't get loop - they are not treble hook friendly. And the more plush carpet you can get, the happier your back will be at the end of the day - especially after standing for 10-12 hours

^X2!!! here is a nice plush non loop style u can pick up at lowes for like $5.00 per linear foot. has a marine backing and all:

392441820.jpg

392281944.jpg

391996792.jpg

391996795.jpg

391996702.jpg

Hey Dixie- how wide is that carpet when you buy it? It looks pretty nice. I'm not sure the Lowe's here in Va carries it, but if they do, I might get that instead of the bps kit...

The Lowe's that I work at has 3 different colors of the "marine" carpet. Black, Stratos Grey, and Mushroom (tan/brown). They all run $0.49 a sq foot or $2.94 a linear foot. I plan on using the Mushroom color for mine.

All 3 come in 6' wide. The grey is also available in 12' wide.

baseball_guy_99 said:
The Lowe's that I work at has 3 different colors of the "marine" carpet. Black, Stratos Grey, and Mushroom (tan/brown). They all run $0.49 a sq foot or $2.94 a linear foot. I plan on using the Mushroom color for mine.

All 3 come in 6' wide. The grey is also available in 12' wide.

If you could get a manufacturer and part number for that carpet it might help the guys find it at their local Lowes.

My local Lowes doesn't have it, but if I had that info they could order it.

SVOMike86 said:
Hey Dixie- how wide is that carpet when you buy it? It looks pretty nice. I'm not sure the Lowe's here in Va carries it, but if they do, I might get that instead of the bps kit...

Its 6' wide. it feels SOOOO good on the feet too! Now this is the plush kind. they carry a flatter kind that has the texture lines in it which i dont like.

I had no issues with fading, but I kept my boat in the garage when not in use. I went with the darker charcoal gray color so if it did fade it was'nt noticed by me.

Do NOT get black - I made that mistake. On a hot/still day, it is SO much hotter with the black underneath you. And black shows EVERY single speck of dirt in your boat. I step on it once and it needs a cleaning.

No loops, it cuts into your fishing time trying to untangle every hook you set on it. Trust me on this. Before I redid my boat it had both types. I made extra trips to the back of the boat to set the rod down on the non-loop carpet. At the end of the day, I'd have 2 or 3 lures that got so stuck, I'd cut the line and leave them for later to cut out.

Here is the information I could gather up...There is no actual brand name because it is Lowe's "exclusive". They call it 'Outdoor Living'

12' Stratos Grey---$.50 a sq foot or 5.88 a linear foot.
Item # 97913
Model # 12K10-830

6' Stratos Grey---$.49 a sq foot or $2.94 a linear foot
Item# 97937
Model # 12K10-830

6' Stratos Mushroom---$.49 a sq foot or $2.94 a linear foot
Item # 105034
Model # ST103 Stratos 553 Mushroom or ST103-553-06

I just bought 12' of the Mushroom color last night for my build.

when you put it down, use contact cement. also is you have a nice flat surface, lay the carpet upside down on it, trace each piece leaving room to overlap, then miter the corners so the carpet can fold over the corners right. Then apply contact cement to the board and to the carpet.

To get nice smooth surface with no wrinkles like I did, apply the board TO THE CARPET, not the carpet to the board. I did this on my concrete carport which works great!

Well I found a Lowes that has it.....It's pretty thin....I'm a big worried to use it.....But what the heck. It's cheap. I'm going to give it a shot.

dixie, did you just use the 3M contact cement in a can??

I was planning to go that route, just wondered if that is what you used.....I've laid carpet in a bunch of boats, but it was using "industrial" contact cement, out of a 20 gallon pressurized sprayer.

I haven't forgot you on the anchormate...PM me your address

I used the plush carpet from lowes and love it...to put it down get the carpet glue not in the can...Its like putty

LonLB said:
Well I found a Lowes that has it.....It's pretty thin....I'm a big worried to use it.....But what the heck. It's cheap. I'm going to give it a shot.

dixie, did you just use the 3M contact cement in a can??

I was planning to go that route, just wondered if that is what you used.....I've laid carpet in a bunch of boats, but it was using "industrial" contact cement, out of a 20 gallon pressurized sprayer.

I haven't forgot you on the anchormate...PM me your address

no over in the paint department they have a gallon of contact cement. its like $35. well worth it.

Latest posts