Looking to convert a jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davehopper8

Reaction score
Hey just signed up here after watching some you tube stuff. My question is I want to convert a jon to a small bass boat. Should i look for used or buy a new boat? I have been looking at the tracker 15 topper or the lowe mod v 16 any help is appreciated.

If it was me, $$$ would dictate my choice. I would like to have been able to purchase a boat that was already set up for the type of fishing that I do, but that wasn’t in the budget. So I went the other route and purchased a well used boat that was structurally sound, and made it in to what I wanted. Having went that route I can say that I’m happy I did. I was able to save a good chunk of money, and I now have a nice boat that I “built” myself.

I'll let you know in a few months. I bought a 1648 Lowe today...used that I plan to convert to MY custom fishing barge. I've fished out of a 10 footer for two years and it is not fun. You have to be too careful where your butt is and how high you get. I've almost went swimming twice. The boat I got is solid but needs some TLC. Now that I've retired it should keep me busy for a few months. This forum will be a great help.
I think I did okay on price...besides the boat, I got a slightly used 4 HP Mercury 2 stroke and a pretty rough trailer. All for $650, but mid winter is a buyers market.

davehopper8 said:
Hey just signed up here after watching some you tube stuff. My question is I want to convert a jon to a small bass boat. Should i look for used or buy a new boat? I have been looking at the tracker 15 topper or the lowe mod v 16 any help is appreciated.

I have the Tracker 1542 and have no complaints. The Lowe is probably a better boat, but also probably much more expensive.

You can get a used rig with trailer and motor for about the same cost as a new hull these days. In fact, Id prefer used, because youre gonna scratch it. Look for something that has been taken care of. Better to buy now because prices will go up in the spring.

Hey thanks for the replies. I too want to build one myself so I can say its my own. I have been told that the mod v is more stable and thats why I am leaning towards one, but my brother in law keeps telling me to just convert a flat. I am fishing out of a 12 ft lil hooker right now but I need something bigger I have two 12 year old boys that plan on being the next Bill Dance and Jimmy Houston.

davehopper8 said:
Well I think that makes up my mind. I believe it will be the tracker topper 15. Hope I can get some good ideas on here as I go.

:WELCOME: aboard!!! good luck on your purchase, and let the modding begin. You'll find a great little group of guys round here, whom will be glad to answer any questions as you go. :beer:

davehopper8 said:
Well I think that makes up my mind. I believe it will be the tracker topper 15. Hope I can get some good ideas on here as I go.

I have had about 30 boats in my 70 + years, and fought the RIVETS way tooooo long. So if possible, get an all welded boat, no RIVITS to worry about.
I just got through building my 15' 1/2' x 48" wide bottom, so its very stable. If you will send me your email address thru a P.M. I will send approx 20 or more pics of my boat from start to finish, Doyle in Texas.

Well its a done deal just signed the papers at the local Bass Pro which may I add is only 5 miles from the house. So sitting in my garage is a nice new 15 topper. Soon the construction will start.

Attachments

• topper 15.jpg
    topper 15.jpg
    715.8 KB · Views: 693
Nice rig you have there. You're gonna have a ton of fun building your boat. I sometimes think that the boat build/modification is as much fun as fishing... Then I reel in a monster and nothing else matters! Keep the updates coming. I'm excited to watch your progress.

Well I am on my way now I am almost complete with the building of the front deck minus a lot of fit and finish things two tackle compartments and a big lid for life vests and rope anchors ect. I nee some help on mounting the back deck I dont really want to use self tapers to hold the wood down to the back bench any ideas would be good. Another neat feature on the flooring I am installing is it is all compleatly removable without taking any screws out. The front deck weighs 34 pounds and can easily be removed for different types of fishing that I do. More photos to come.

Attachments

• IMG00123-20110206-1038.jpg
    IMG00123-20110206-1038.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG00124-20110206-1039.jpg
    IMG00124-20110206-1039.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 605
Looks great so far. If it was me, I would get some 1" X 3" or 4" cedar strips or treated wood strips and mount on the back side of your doors for bracing and to prevent warping on your plywood. I glued and screwed mine to the backs. My back compartment was totaley bare from the back seat rest to the motor. I needed some way to cover this area to keep ol folks from falling in and hurting themselves, plus it gave me more storage.
I added strips to the inside of the opening so my door could rest on it on all three sides. Then the door was added to the opening. I added storage on both sides and put the doors on top of the openings.

Attachments

• big door1.jpg
    big door1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 584
  • big door 2.jpg
    big door 2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 584
  • big door.jpg
    big door.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 584
  • little door1.jpg
    little door1.jpg