What do you guys think? Transom Repair.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshhegwood

Reaction score
Hey Guys i recently bought a 16 ft. monark. I want to replace the transom wood but don't want to go through all the grinding and removing the back cap and corner gussetsand then having to get someone to reweld what i take off. Just wondering if you think i can remove the rivets from this bracket and just unbold the rotten wood and just replace the bracket with some stainless hardware. Any info would be great.

Attachments

• transom2.jpg
    transom2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 615
  • Transom 1.jpg
    Transom 1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 615
Remove the knee brace (flap wheel in a 4.5" angle grinder to sand the rivets flush, then knock out with a pin punch - drill if they won't come out), as well as the two little formed angles on each side. The transom wood will be made with enough clearance to slide down far enough to clear. Make the new transom board identical in dimensions, and it will reinstall nicely. Bolt in, and install new rivets (or #10 Stainless Steel machine screws), and head to the lake.

bassboy1"Bolt in said:
Only thing I would add to bassboy's post is if you use screws, put a little 5200 sealant around them. I did a transom restoration about a year ago and this stuff is the best for keeping leaks at bay.

Attachments

• Mediawebserver.jpg
    Mediawebserver.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 553

Latest posts