Patch a drain plug hole

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samzerelli

Reaction score
I bought my first boat last fall, it's an old beat up 12' Delhi semi-v. When I took it onto the lake, water started leaking in from around the drain plug at a pretty good rate. The drain plug tube was dented, it looked like it had been stepped on.

I have repaired the tube as best I can. I took a dowel rod and used it to reshape the hole from the inside. I also got a new plug with some fresh rubber. This spring I intend to try it out to see if the problem is fixed.

If the plug still leaks, I think I want to patch the tube shut. I'll either get a new drain plug kit or just go without a drain.

If I decide to patch it shut, I think I will cut a piece of dowel rod to slide into the tube, and then fill the gaps with marine epoxy. Does anyone else have a better idea? What do you think of going without a drain? Any suggestions for testing it without having to wait till spring and haul it to the lake?

Here's a picture of the drain tube as it currently is. You can see where the top part was crunched. It's more round now, but it's definitely not perfect.

5MLGQ.jpg

You could probably use some 3m marine sealant around where you think there is a leak.

To find out where the leak is.. you could try filling the boat with water and see where it leaks.. then just bilge it out and wipe dry before you start working on it.

if you really want to plug it up. i'd suggest using some fiberglass resin or maybe some JB marine weld putty? I think someone with more knowledge could verify if they'd agree.

Your drain tube looks better than the one in my boat. A new plug should stop the leak. I had water intrusion where the tube met the transom. 3M 5200 sealant quickly and cheaply fixed that issue. Agree with the previous poster about filling up the the boat with water to locate the leak. Good luck.

To test it you could fill the inside of the boat with water and watch the plug area for leaks on the outsideof the boat

Latest posts