Idea for Middle Bench?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishyItch

Reaction score
So I have a 14' tin semi-V that I will be working on in the spring. Right now there is a bench that runs across the middle of the boat. It's attached to the sides of the boat to add structural integrity. Originally I intended on keeping the middle in the boat and just putting storage in it instead of the flotation foam that is currently living there.

But is the bench really adding that much stability? Wouldn't I be alright if I took it out? It's a smaller boat and I don't think I'll be going that fast. Also, I'll be adding a deck about 2 inches off of the current floor. That will add some stability, right? Here's what I'm thinking.

Pros for removing the bench...
-more room in the boat
-can move from bow to stern without stepping over the bench (I like this one a lot)

Cons for removing the bench...
-Less support for shape of the boat.
-Less storage space.
-No bench in the center if I need to row the boat. (I've never been totally at the mercy of my motor. I like having oars.)

So this is what I'm thinking. I'll take out the center 50% of the bench. The 25% on either side can still be smaller storage compartment. These "boxes" can also be a good place to mount some rod holders. These "boxes" will also give the sides of the boat something to be bolted to for stability. The middle 50% of the bench I will turn into a flap that will open and close sort of like the ones you see at bars that separate the back of the bar from the front but still act as a bar. This flap would have supports available under it so that the flap could support my weight if I needed to sit on it and row. The supports would be attached to the boxes.

This idea doesn't completely fix the problem of total space in the boat, that is, not much space is gained, but I won't be break dancing or anything in my boat. (Who was it that had a "break-dancing area" in his boat build? I thought that was awesome.)

In the image below you're looking through the starboard side of the boat. The stern is off the screen to the left and the bow is to the right. The lighter grey are the hinges and the yellow are the supports (probably 2x4's) attached to the remained storage "boxes."

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anything?

Attachments

• bench_swings_open.jpg
    bench_swings_open.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 585
I cut mine out completely and u can't tell a difference

392441820.jpg

392281944.jpg

392441681.jpg

That's good to hear. If structural integrity is a non-issue then I think the extra room in the center is worth it, even if it does mean less storage. But that's really just a loss is closed-in storage. The space is still there after all.

Besides using my middle bench as a livewell and storage on the sides I use it as a step to get from the front deck to the back.
For me its a sizable step down from the front deck to the floor of the boat.
The openess looks pretty nice in the flat bottom if that's what your looking for (nice carpet job by the way).
Mike Iaconelli is the only break dancin fisherman that I know of.

I kept my middle bench intact. I extended front deck all the way back to the middle bench for additional deck support, and built 2 shallow storage hatches on top of the middle bench. You could cut into the tops of your middle bench for a deeper storage. I just chose to keep the bench as-is. Storage is only 3.5" - 4" deep, but they have been very practical in storing my soft plastics, buoy markers, scissors, extra pliers, flashlight, terminal tackle, maps, and other little odds and ends. Plus, I love having the big front deck.

Attachments

• deck1.jpg
    deck1.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 545
  • deck2.jpg
    deck2.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 545
It seems like people who have kept the middle bench have because they ended up decking the front of the boat on top of the benches. I will be decking my boat, but only about 2-3 inches above the existing bottom. My boat is a semi-V and I think the lower deck will be more stable for pedestal seats and standing. Taking out the bench would add a lot more room for a lower deck. The issue is just really stability, and it seems like you guys think the boat would be fine without that support in the middle that the bench provides.

And as far as storage goes, with all that extra room that taking the bench out would give I don't mind leaving my tackle box out. The life vests and stuff I don't need out can just be stashed under the rear bench, which I'll be keeping.

Thanks so far for your comments. Anybody else want to weigh in or suggest something?

I have a 12' semi-v and have been thinking about removing the middle bench. After reading this, I unbolted one of the brackets that attaches the seat to the hull. When I took out the bolt, the side of the boat pushed in a good half inch or so. I had to pry the sidewall back in order to get the bolt back into the hole. This might be no big deal as far as the structural integrity of the boat goes, but it was pretty concerning, so I bolted it back up.