trolling motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcbouy

Reaction score
does anyone use the transom mounted motorguide with the foot steer? now that i have more boat and seating options,i think i might go with one.all ive seen up here are minn kotas,and they dont make a model like this one.just wondering how good they are.my boat is 14.5 v and i have a tillersteer 35 lb. now. i think i might go 40 lb. because i troll really slow.

I have never seen this Motorguide transom mount foot steer trolling motor that you speak of but I do know that controlling a boat from the stern SUCKS. If your looking to bass fish then I suggest you rig the bow for a bow mount trolling motor. You have to have a front deck for cable controlled trolling motors or you could get an electric controlled trolling motor with the long cord and control it anywhere in the boat.
If your just putting around in open water then I guess a transom mount motor will work but it still sucks. There is a reason why you see guys with transom mount trolling motors operating their boat in reverse. It's because its tough to keep a boat pointed straight with a trolling motor mounted on the back.
I like the 24 volt variable speed model motors but that requires 2 batteries. Since you probably don't want to go there then get a 55# 12 volt trolling motor. If they make them in variable speed then buy that because the 5 speed motors don't have the battery maximizer feature. 5 speed motors will run out of juice on windy or long fishing days.
Minn Kota trolling motors have been better then Motorguides the last 10 years or so but Motorguides might be comparable to Minn Kota now since they have had time to iron out their problems.

I have the fold-out bow mounted Minn Kota in 40lb, hand operated with an extension handle that is removable. I have a 1548 G3 with a 40hp Johnson and 2 batteries, and wood floors, lots of storage. I got the foot operated off-on switch from academy or Bass Pro Shop mounted on the front deck and all works great for my boat. I had a 16' Boston Whaler with the same setup on it, with no problems at all. The reason I go with the hand operated troll motor is price difference of approx $200.00 between hand and foot operated, plus I don't like all that cable and foot operated junk on deck. I have a semi-v and the decks are not too big. Its mounted at an angle for more room.
PS if you need more cable, you can use #4 battery jumper cables and cut to need length.

Latest posts