Help deciding.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojoewrkn

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone! I have a 12 foot V-hull and I am trying to decide whether to put an outboard motor on it(I found a deal on a 2001 Mercury 9.9hp for $850) or to buy a bigger boat? The boat has sentimental value since it was given to me by a friend that has passed away. I would like to start fishing with my 15 year old son. Will this boat be too small for him and I? The boat is rated for a 10 hp motor. Would the Mercury 9.9 be a good fit for it? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Boat.JPG
    Boat.JPG
    4.1 KB · Views: 562
Keep the boat!

It will fit you and your son perfect....for now.

Buy the 9.9 if it is in good mechanical condition

Learn how to use it, and fish it with your son. Then If you decide to to upgrade go for it.

and :WELCOME: Thanks for joining!

Welcome to the forum. 12 foot is about as small as you can go with 2 people, but it might begin to feel pretty small in a hurry. I would go with the bigger boat.

For me, there’s two ways to look at it:

1. Keep the boat, buy the Merc, and be on the lake. The grand total is $850.

2. Keep the $850, sell the boat sans outboard, and then start shopping for a used boat that costs $XXX. The grand total will be $850, your 12’, + whatever extra $ it takes.

I’d go for option #1. Or, wait on buying the outboard and use the boat as an electric only. Depending on the body of water you’re fishing, a gas motor may not be needed.

As far as size goes, 12’ is a good size for 2 people. If your son brings a friend, the boat will start feeling small. Fishing with my wife and dad at the same time finally prompted me to upgrade to a 16’. Had it not been for 3 people in the boat, I’d still have my 12’. It’s a very versatile and easy to manage size.

Another thing to keep in mind is organization and storage. The more organized your boat is, the more enjoyable it will be. Take it out a few times and get a feel for how you two fish then reassess whether you need something bigger or not.

One more thing (and then I’m done) to keep in mind, if it’s a full package with a boat, trailer, outboard, and other accessories, it will eventually sell for more than just a boat and trailer. An outboard may seem like a big investment but it will bring its money back when it’s time to sell a turnkey boat.

A 12 footer will be kind of tight, but very fishable for 2. You could pass it down to your son in a year or two and upgrade to a bigger vessel. Merc 9.9, if in good operating condition, would be a great fit since you'll be running max hp for your boat. Welcome aboard and good luck.

Wow, thanks for all the helpful advice guys!
I think I will keep the boat, my son and I have been on it a few times on very small lakes and it was fine as far as room goes. I was more concerned about putting that size motor on it and going on bigger lakes. I had one guy tell me that it was too small to take on bigger lakes because if it gets windy I will get swamped. The boat has some nice carpet, bucket type seats and a front platform added, so it is a nice boat. I am thinking if I get the 9.9 motor, I may move my electric troller to the front, along with the battery. I think this would help balance the weight.

A 12 footer with a 9.9 merc, I wouldnt be surprised if you could get 15mph with both of you on board. By yourself would be a different story, probably 20+mph. That motor would be a perfect fit for that boat. You could get around fine on a bigger lake, but choppy water in a small craft is what I would be concerned with. If Im not mistaken, thats one of the last years merc made a 2 stroke, and that s good thing. $850 is a fair price if its in great condition.

BTW, its winter. Offer him $700 for the motor.

Yeah, its a 2 stroke so it should be fairly light. He was asking $1000 and I got him down to $850. I know its winter but its still fishing weather here. Not what I am used to since I just moved to Texas from Nebraska.

Nothing wrong with a 12' boat, just keep in mind especially on the larger lakes to be ever watchful on the weather and other boat traffic with a small boat. That's where having a good running 9.9hp outboard's going to come in handy (let's you react and get out of the way alot quicker then only relaying on a trolling motor). Starting out with a 12' jon I was glad to move to a 1648 jon. Makes a big difference with 2-3 adults fishing, me and my dad can stand and move around with no problems where on the 12' extra caution was needed when 1 person stood up.

I would keep the boat for all above reasons as well as the sentimental value... as also stated, you could keep it in the family by giving it to your son (when the time is right). As far as taking it on a big lake... keeping a close eye on the weather would be a must... maybe check into a hand held weather radio that can automatically alert you to incoming bad weather in time to get off the water...there will be times when bad weather will sneak up on you without much warning... for these times experience in handling a boat in rough water will be real helpful... it is kinda a catch 22 ...experience helps but to get it you have to first be in rough water without it...

I know from experience (Lake Michigan) that rough, scary water will cause a need to change your shorts in a big hurry. I would NEVER got out without good life jackets along and also very important to WEAR them...if you do not already have one it would be worth the cost and effort to install a good bilge pump. If you got caught in rough water having the ability to pump water out of the boat as you were trying to make it back to the landing would be a good idea (you could hook it up to the trolling motor battery). If possible in your area, check into taking a safe boating course. They offer tips on handling a boat in rough water...and finally... maybe head out in some minor rough water to get the experience...but also maybe leave your son home for this... and stay close to the landing... as it will be a little scary.
If you decide to give it a try... get something equivalent to or heavier that your sons weight in the front of the boat that will lay in the bottom without much chance of bouncing out. This will keep the bow down and also mimic the handling if your son was along. Finally... extreme rough water can be deadly but with knowledge and a little experience you will stand a better chance... I know...been there and done that..if handled properly and going in the right direction (in relation to the incoming waves) and at the right speed, that boat will ride the waves and you would be surprised at actually how a 12 ft. V-Hull boat will handle really big waves...

Sorry for the long reply but in the interest of safety and you keeping the 12 footer I figured it would be ok...

Outdoorsman

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it. I feel better about keeping the boat and adding the motor, I will just pay careful attention to safety and weather. I have been out in the garage cleaning it up. I am going to move the battery to the front for better weight distribution. Thanks again for your responses.

Latest posts