Oldgeeks 1640 Lowe

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great boat, nothing like a giant jon! The mod V makes it even better. You have a lot of room and a great starting base to work with.

With the 3 benches and the front little deck you could deck it out to the first seat and still have 2 full benches to sit on.

A lot of possiblilites with that Lowe!

1st thing I would do is put that little 4 hp on the 10 footer and sell it as a package deal to another tinboater just getting started. Put any money you get towards a 20 or 25 hp, or if you not going to do alot of decking to it a nice little 9.9 4 stroke.

Whatever you do it looks like your gonna have a lot of fun with it.

Thanks, I thought about the decking up front for my wife. She likes to fish for about 2 hours and then suntans and reads. =D>
I hope to get a start on it this weekend. I'll have to see about the motor. I'm retired and I don't get in a hurry anymore. [-X

The weather warmed up yesterday and I got to spend a couple of hours on it. I replaced the winch, pulled the old battery out, clean the inside of the boat and livewell (reeked of dead fish...duh) and tried to use JB weld on some of the many small drill holes in the seats. It is too thin but may have to do 2-3 coats of the stuff. I could just buy a few dozen aluminum screws and grind the heads off.

I greased the hubs on the trailer and gave the wiring a once-over. It works and looks fairly new, just not done very neat with wire connectors and it all out in the open. My son said he could clean it up and make it look okay.
I looked all over the boat and didn't find a USCG rating plate. The seat arrangement is different from the new Lowe boats but I can probably use whatever the current 1640 model is.
Can anyone tell what year it is?

I also am trying to decide how to configure things. When I got it, the battery and gas tank were side-by-side in the back of the boat. I just don't like gas and electricity that close together. The old gas tank was a huge 5 gallon beast which seems like overkill for a 4HP motor. :? I think I'll build separate compartments in the back for the trolling motor battery and the new 3 gallon tank I ordered.

The weather is turning cold and rainy here for a while so I will not be able to do much. I ordered new safety chains from BPS only to find a new set in my shed yesterday. Murphy is at it again.

There are several types of jb weld. This is what I use https://www.jbweld.net/products/jbstik.php this stuff is thick like clay and is perfect for filling in screw holes let set for thirty minutes and sand. I pick this stuff up at most truck stops.