Lowe bottom repair

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

essess

Reaction score
I was given a Lowe 14' jon. The sides, seats, bow, and transom are in great shape. However--- the boat was used by a local coal mining company to check ponds created by the mining and were tied to truck trailer hitches and dragged across the fields to get to the ponds. One of the bottom strakes is completely worn through (about a foot in length and about 1/2 " wide at the widest point, tapering back to nothing) and the others show heavy wear. The actual bottom has some small dents, but no holes. What would be the best repair for these strakes without spending alot? I really hate to scrap the boat because of the conditon other than the strakes. It wlll not have an outboad, only a trolling motor and used on small local lakes only. Thanks for any help.

If it were mine and I was going do what you are with it I would weld up the one that is worn througn. Then I would flip it over, sand it down and then add a coat of bed liner to it.

Since your not ever really going to need that area you will probably be fine. You could even sand the strakes on the inside and lay some fiberglass mat down and apply a coat of epoxy to give it a bit more strength.

Thanks for the help. I have tried this ----- I got 1"X8' angle aluminum at Lowes along with aluminum tape. I put some of the tape on the inside. I then filled in the gap in the strake with 3M 5200 from the outside. After the 5200 cured, I then ran a bead of the 5200 down the top of the strake, did the same on each inside edge of the angle aluminum, placed it over the strake, then secured it every 4" or so with screws. I filled in each end of the angle aluminum with 5200. I have yet been able to take it to the lake to see if it is going to work, but I'm hoping so.

essess said:
Thanks for the help. I have tried this ----- I got 1"X8' angle aluminum at Lowes along with aluminum tape. I put some of the tape on the inside. I then filled in the gap in the strake with 3M 5200 from the outside. After the 5200 cured, I then ran a bead of the 5200 down the top of the strake, did the same on each inside edge of the angle aluminum, placed it over the strake, then secured it every 4" or so with screws. I filled in each end of the angle aluminum with 5200. I have yet been able to take it to the lake to see if it is going to work, but I'm hoping so.
That should work like a champ. 3M 5200 is the real deal. We use it all the time.

Just using it in small lakes with a trolling motor, if it doesn't leak why don't ya just take it fishin how it is?

I used sheet metal screws, should I remove them and replace them with stainless steel?

Honestly, with the 5200, you could just remove the screws all together and just put a dab of 5200 in the screw holes.

Latest posts