Newbie - Carpeting a 14ft semi-v

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKTrevecca

Reaction score
This is a great site!

My humble vessel is a 14 foot semi-v Duracraft. 1962 I believe. I'll try to get some pix when it isn't dark out. This site has inspired me to spend some hard earned money on this boat.

I'm decking the front. I've framed it so that the deck is not attached to the boat and can be removed easily. However, reality is that this thing is going to sit outside most of the time. I intend to cover it with a tarp but.... like I said.. It's a humble vessel and after a long day out fishing it just might get left outside un-covered.

My question relates to the plywood vs. weather. Will a good exterior paint suffice to seal the plywood before the carpet is applied or is fiberglass resin an absolute must have? Has anyone just primed and painted the plywood before applying carpet? If so, how long did it last?

Thanks in advance!!

Years ago, there was eXterior plywood and Interior plywood. They had different glues. I understand now that almost all plywood is made with exterior glue. Certainly, any plywood that has an X in its designation is now EXterior plywood. i.e. BCX ACX ADX etc.

Now, I wouldn't worry about the ( X ) plywood de-laminating just from outdoor exposure. However, when you stick carpet on top, the carpet will hold water against the plywood for a long time. THAT might allow the plywood to give up.

If you nail or screw the carpet down, you surely will let some water inside... that won't drain out easily.

If it were mine, I'd use the resin to seal it before putting the carpet on top...if you want it to last for a long time.

I am sure that others, more experienced in re-doing these boats, will have more helpful information in a while. regards, Rich

I just finished up my second coat of this stuff on my plywood floor...https://www.minwax.com/products/exterior_clear_protective_finishes/helmsman_spar_urethane.html

Lots of members on this site recommended spar urethane to me, so I'm going to give it a go. I have already predrilled all holes where my front and rear decks will attach to the plywood. By doing this, I am able to coat the inside of the holes, too. It sounds trivial, but more than one respected member here has recommended that extra step, so I'm doing it. It's going to take awhile to get three coats applied, but hopefully it will last quite a few years. We will see. I'll hit ya up in 2016 and give you the 5yr report :wink:

Finally got some pix today when I was out tweeking a few things on the project. My brother in law has a full unfinished basement that I am going to use to prime/paint the deck and framing as well as glue the carpet down. It is temp controlled so it should help things a bunch.

Any idea's for rod holders? I used a hole saw to drill 2 holes (c pix) under the middle bench seat thinking I could use PVC running through the holes the length of the deck to store rods in so they will be out of sight and our from under feet when fishing on the deck.

Also... Any good ideas for the fishfinder wiring back to the transom? Plastic conduit isn't exciting me very much.

-- Jason

Attachments

• IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 762
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 762
  • IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 762
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 762
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 762
Nice work on the framing/deck =D>

Have you considered putting a battery up front and installing the transducer to the front TM?

i am planing on using water sealant like Thompson water seal ( like the other feller said seal all your holes too),, and then use 3M spay for gluing the carpet and i plan to staple the corners for a tight fit as i pull it to to lay,, now as for the carpet there is several different types so that is something to look in to.

Thanks for the compliment and suggestions! I bought my carpet at lowes and picked up some exterior carpet glue in a gallon pale too. I tested the glue on a scrap piece of plywood that I painted and it holds very well. I think I am gonna just prime and paint the plywood with a high quality exterior paint and go for it.

The more time I spend on this site, the more I want to go a little further with this project!

Jason