New/OLD 1974 Jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubbytomdaman

Reaction score
Bought a 1971 Polarkraft 16' Jon a few months ago,had some problems with the title,so wanted to wait to make sure it was going to in my name before I vested my heart into her.Got title back from IDNR,all good,we can move forward,has given me alot of research time to see what different options I had to modify.Glad I came across your site through You Tube,was looking at engine repair and seen modified Jons,WOW,unreal,some of the things that these guys come up with for these TINS,cant get enough.Now all I have to do is wait for the weather to break,kinda cold here in central Illinois and considering that I dont have garage,there really isnt a whole lot I can do outside right now.Came with a 1974 25hp Johnson,and another 40hp Mercery,two trolling motors,Humminbird LCR 1100 depth finder and trailor for $600.00,though it was agood deal,willpost some picture as soon as figure out how?
Thanks for your site dude love it,will keep you posted

600 Bucks ?!!! Does she have a hole in her the size of a basketball or did you pull a gun on the seller ? Wow, congrats on a helluva buy and welcome. Can't wait to see pics.

You got a great deal there. Hopefully she's somewhat ready to fish.
Seems the winter is too cold to do anything and when the weather
warms up I rather be out fishing. :LOL2:

Welcome.
Got any pictures?
What was the issue with the title and how did you get it worked out?

Looks like you hit the blue light special. It's hard to even find a 25hp in central ill for that price.

Kinda figured I was getting a good deal,seen alot of smaller boats go for more with out a motor,never mind two and two trolling,depth finder vest ,oars,fuel cell,lights,could not pass on it,P-oed the wife abit,but hey you have to do what you have to do,been a few months now,some smoke has cleared,so now she rolls eyes,when she sees me LUSTING over the mods on this site LOL.As for the Title=bought it from a friend of a friend(now my bud also) that hit hard times (as many these days) and the boat had been sitting in his garage for the past two season,his close friend/fishing bud had passed unexspectantally,so his late buddys wife felt it was only right that he should get the boat,so since the boat and trailor was part of a estate now,he had to have a small claims affidavit,death certificate and a estimate value assesment,which valued it at $420.00 ??,any hoot,he sent all the papers in to the state,but combined the registration fees with the title transfer fees on the same check,the state sent every thing back to him,so he got frustrated with the whole ordeal and left it at that,he said he took it out a few times after that but it was to emotional for him along with the documentation problems he just pulled her in the garage and moth balled her.I was asking around work if any one knew of any boats out there that I could pick up for a few bucks,after several weeks I asked the right person and he told about his bud that might want to sell his,that he needed the cash,so I called him,told him I was looking for a boat for my sons and I,arranged to look at her and had a "LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT" moment.He wanted $1,000.00,but I only had $600.00 readly avaliable,along with him knowing she was going to a "GOOD HOME" ,he agreeded,gave me all the paper work,problem was the Title was still in his late buddys name!So he and I had to go the the Illinois Dept.Natural Resource office,verify who we where,IDNR said he could not sell the boat because it wasnt his to sell "YET",so they made him pay tax/title/transfer along with me paying tax/title transfer at the same time submit it all to the state and wait,finally 3 months later I got the title"YAE" So thats how I got our 1971 16' Polarkraft Flat Bottom Jon boat,its my first boat ever,always fished from shore,a friend at work(Pro Crappie Fisherman) took me out a few weeks before on my birthday,cuaght a 14 1/4" Crappie and was "Hooked"

Looks good.
Glad you got the title worked out it can be a real pain in the backside.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Looks good.
Glad you got the title worked out it can be a real pain in the backside.
Ya ,kinda had me worrried,but all good now,getting pictures feardy now to post,
Hey,I grew up in Carpentersville until I was 13,cool,probally changed alot since 76?