Deck sealer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indiana Bass 1

Reaction score
Ok,I will take the treated plywood out of the jon boat and go with regular plywood. So what is the best sealer to use. I have to ask these questions before I get started again or I will be backing up through the whole project.

Indiana Bass 1

I am kind of new to this site. I am a brand new --newbie-- when it comes to aluminum boats.

Finding out that treated lumber was incompatible with aluminum was a revelation.

Since I do not know...I am asking here...is it ONLY where the treated lumber TOUCHES the aluminum ....that causes the problem? If so, perhaps you can leave the decking in place.... if you ....re-do/isolate/insulate... the edges somehow... I do not know...but would like to find out what the facts are.

thanks, Rich

Hmmm I did some quick research. From the attached article, it sounds like the NEW treated wood is way worse than the OLD treated wood on aluminum.

After reading the full article...I'd be pulling all of the treated wood ( old or new) out and replacing it, too. regards, Rich

https://joneakes.com/jons-fixit-database/2049-OVERVIEW-Living-with-Pressure-Treated-Wood

There are two important things to know about the new preservatives like ACQ. The new formulations contain much more copper than CCA does, which make them about twice as corrosive to many metals. That means we need to think twice about the fasteners we use as we enter the domain of building material incompatibility. Actually by 2008 we have evolved from ACQ-C to ACQ-D which is more fastener friendly, but still requires a careful choice of brackets, nails and screws.

Untreated nails are totally unacceptable while hot dipped galvanized nails and brackets are now considered a "minimum" protection for the metal; before it was just "recommended". Be careful, not all fasteners and brackets have the same thickness of zinc in the galvanization process and hence not the same degree of protection against corrosion. Prior to the introduction of high copper concentrate PTW quality galvanization was considered to be G60, or 0.60 oz of zinc/square foot of metal. How about the special green "deck" screws? If they are labeled "ACQ OK" they are in fact equivalent to double hot dipped galvanized fasteners, but not up to the SS 304 standards. Now, Simpson Strong-Tie makes their "standard" material G90 -- 50% thicker zinc and they actually recommend for such projects as outdoor decks to use their ZMAX brand which is twice the protection at G185.

Actually for severe moisture areas, or salt water areas or just for those who want to play safe, the fasteners and brackets should be stainless steel (grade 304 or better). In fact in any area where the wood is constantly wet, like on the coast, you should be using SS fasteners and SS brackets in all outdoor structures. How do you know if a screw or bracket is Stainless Steel 304 or better if it is not identified as such? Put a magnet to it. If the magnet sticks it may technically be in the category of Stainless Steel but it has an iron content, and it can rust. If the magnet will not stick, it is SS 304 or better.

Another common technique has recently been developed of putting a rubber type of barrier membrane between the high copper concentrate PTW and the galvanized steel brackets. This prevents the direct wood steel contact on the bracket surface where water can easily sit. Several different "membranes" are showing up in the stores to accomplish this, such as Simpson's T-PTBARRIER. This is a good half way measure short of using expensive and hard to locate Stainless Steel brackets and supports. Always use galvanized fasteners with galvanized brackets, and stainless steel fasteners with stainless steel brackets -- don't mix metals!

ALUMINUM

One other note, the copper in ACQ treated lumber will react very strongly with any aluminum, corroding aluminum fasteners and aluminum brackets very quickly. Even Aluminum siding will blister if mounted in contact with ACQ strapping or used as trim on an ACQ deck. Always separate the aluminum from the treated wood. Some people use rubber membranes as above, but that leaves fastener problems. Aluminum siding is best installed with aluminum nails, but aluminum nails cannot be driven into ACQ treated wood. The work around is to attach 1x3 untreated strapping to the treated wood with galvanized nails and then the aluminum siding to the untreated strapping with short aluminum nails. The strapping is weather protected and should not rot.

Just in case you were hoping that the ACZA or other treatments with ammonia carriers may get us out of these problems, be forewarned that they have proven to be even more corrosive to fasteners! To date only the borax treatments are less corrosive, but they leach out and leave the wood unprotected. Even here the original CA-A has evolved removing the Borax in exchange for more copper giving what is called Copper Azole CA-B; less leaching, more fastener corrosion. Things are indeed constantly changing seeking better performance with adjusted trade-offs. It just makes it a bit difficult trying to understand what it is that we are buying at any given moment.

There is of course the possibility of working with a wood that is harder than cedar and even more resistant to rot, a good contender for the job if we can get a good supply : Larch.

The second issue with high copper concentrate PTW like ACQ and CA-B is that the copper can cause problems for micro-organisms in fresh water lakes. Many ecologists are opposed to the use of ACQ for docks or boardwalks in cottage country and I think they are right. So what do you use? The old CCA treated wood would be a good alternative, if you can find it. Otherwise you may be forced to use cedar, which isn't as strong and won't last terribly long in water. Or you will have to go with metal, plastic or concrete.

As for working with the lumber, we should continue to follow the rules for any wood with any chemicals on it, even painted cedar: wear gloves when working, wear a dust mask if you are breathing dust, and don't burn it -- take it to the landfill instead.

The whole reason for using pressure treated wood is to extend the life span of wood structures, and save a lot of trees while we are at it. I am sure that the chemicals the industry offers us will continue to evolve as we find safer and safer alternatives that still get the job done while reducing the material incompatibility.

The change in pressure treatment happened one maybe two decades ago.

There are several options to protecting lumber from teh elements.
First off, buy plywood rated for outdoor use, it will have glue suitable to teh elements, while indoor plywood will seperate when exposed to teh elements.

As for sealant, there are several schools of though; resin, polyurathane, or paint are teh best options. Stay away from Thompsons desk sealer, it only lasts one or two years at best.

Im not familiar with resin so Ill leave that to someone else.
Polyurathane and paint, outdoor version are both great options. Both will seal/bond and yet flex and move with the wood. I painted my deck with yellow enamal paint and then laid carpet using contact cement. No problems yet, granted its only been two year, howver my boat lives outside pretty much year round, and yes I do keep a cover on it, and yes I do fish in teh rain. So it has been soaking wet.

devilmutt said:
I used Helmsman Spar Urethane on all of the wood in my build.

x2... This is probably the best option. The problem with resin is that its not UV rated, and will break down from the sun at a high rate of speed unless its covered. Paint, will eventually peel up, though is a good, easy option.

Okay, I'm cheap...ask my wife. I was first going to use treated plywood...nope. Next I decided to use regular plywood and cover it with rhino liner or something like that. Now I've come to the conclusion that I'll just pick up some good quality house paint on sale from the "mistake" mixing area at the hardware store. So what if it is mauve. I'm going to cover the supports with decking and the decking with carpet, so what does it matter? I'll get bored with the layout and rip it all out in 2-3 years anyway.
Like I said, I'm cheap!

Thought I'd google it and found this. For what it is worth...seems like if you are going to cover it up why spend more?
https://www.simplicityboats.com/latexcarnel.html

I've written on this before...do a search on my screen name and you will find it...

Here is my list again:
1. Epoxy resin (West system makes a UV stabilized version if you are not carpeting)
2. Polyester resin aka regular fiberglass resin
3. Some sort of urethane
4. Oil based paint
5. Latex paint...the outdoor kind
139743. Thompson's

Latest posts