Deck Mounting Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragger

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just picked up a 10 foot aluminum Lowes jon boat. It is in great shape and I am very satisfied with my purchase so far. The one thing I noticed about this boat is that it has no ribs or anything I could mount deck hardware onto because I have plans of adding a small deck and some storage space. Does anyone have any ideas or experience in handling this issue? This is my first boat too so I have none at all! I will add pics soon.

Thanks.

Hi dragger!

Welcome & Thanks for joining!

A 10 footer with a deck might be an unstable proposition. Not wide enough with a tall center of gravity and rocky water equals a disaster. What are the dimensions of the boat? I would assume 1032?

If so you are also still dealing with a weight capacity issue. Fishing alone or with someone else? Trailing or in the back of a truck? What is the weight limit capacity of the boat. subtract that and all your gear and then you will see what you have left over for possibly a thin carpeted floor and some seats with short posts to make your fishing day comfortable.

Looking forward to the pics.

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply Jim. The boat is actually about 46" wide so it is a very wide and stable boat. I have fished in a lot of 14 foot V hulls and the balance between the two is similar. I will be towing it with a trailer and plan on fishing with other people too. I have an idea in my head on how the deck will look already and I am planning on only going with a small deck in front and one in the back to act more as storage than a casting platform. The decks are going to have low mounted chairs on them too to try and keep the center of gravity low and the boat more stable.

When I get some pictures up, I will draw in the deck for a rough idea.

When we talk about boat width, example my boat is a 1548 semi-v, that means the length is 15' and the BOTTOM WIDTH is 48" wide and 70" on top at the widest point. The bottom width measured at the transom and is the most important item when decking. If the bottom measures out at approx 36" then it wall not be very stable with a high deck.

Latest posts