A product for removing decals, for sure and easy.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty.hook

Reaction score
I found a product from Un-Du Products, Inc. in Dallas, Texas, Ph.888-buy-undo.
If you cant find it at your Lowes, Home Depot or mom and pop hardware store, give them a call.
This is the best thing so far that I have found for removing decal residue, the sticky stuff ya can't get off. it's easy and it really works. Just clean with laquer thinner when all residue is gone and prepare for final finish as needed. I used it on my fiberglass cowling to refinsh it, see pics below.
I have tried acetone, laquer thinner, denatured achohol, etc. but nothing works like this stuff. Squirt it on and let it set for approx 20-40 minutes and get to cleaning. Time depends on ambient temperature.mot4.jpg

Attachments

• ud1.jpg
    ud1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 767
  • ud2.jpg
    ud2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 767
  • johnson.jpg
    johnson.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 767
I did vinyl graphics for 7 years. The best is Zep Chemicals "Big Orange" degreaser then denatured alcohol to remove the big orange.

Are the decals the ones they sell on E-bay?....I've been looking at those. Once I get to repainting the motor, I was going to give those a try.

We use a product called Gone in Sixty Seconds and another product called Orange Peel. Both work extremely well and I highly recommend them. Goo Gone works well but is expensive. Crest Industries makes a product called ACRY-SOLV, it works wonders on smaller projects and I use it pretty much every day.

In a pinch you can use gasoline or rubbing alcohol. Either of them work but not very well, but like I said, in a pinch they will work.

No matter what you use, rubbing alcohol will take all the residue off after the adhesive is gone.

Awesome job on the cowling by the way!! =D>

LonLB said:
Are the decals the ones they sell on E-bay?....I've been looking at those. Once I get to repainting the motor, I was going to give those a try.

Yes the decals are an Ebay item. You really have to check lots of days, because the ones I had bought for my 60hp Evinrude cost approx 30.00 for the pair, these for the Johnson were only $10.00 per pair. Start at end end when you put them on and smooth out real to eliminate air pockets/bubbles.
P.S. I had tried Goo Gone, Orange Peel, rubbing and denatured alcohol also, but this has worked best for me. My motor is a 1996 with the original decals, and they were a tough bunch to move, thanx.

Just a heads up! If you want to stay away from chemical strippers and cleaners for decals, residue, bumper stickers, window tint, glue, pinstriping, stains ect.. Then you should try using a STEAMER. Simoniz sells them. Two models that I'm aware of. One is hand held, and the other is like a small vacuaam. I purchesd the hand held one and it works great. It strips the decals or window tint off without leaving residue. Steam the decal, lift a corner, steam under the corner, slowly steam and remove. If any residue is left behind, just steam it and wipe it away. It will not harm any surfaces including plastics. Chemicals will melt or scratch most surfaces. I have been using it for years. One time investment, and no flammable toxic chemicals that don't really work anyway. I've seen guys at the decal company use a heat gun, but you run the risk of bubbling or browning the paint, melting plastics ect.. I told them about the steamer, they didn't believe me. Oh well can't win them all...
TRY IT YOU'LL NEVER GO BACK

cheers

I've used rubber cement thinner or adhesive release for years on all kinds of surfaces from paper to metal for removing price tags, stickers and all kinds of gooey stuck on things. The only material I've had react to it is the jewel cases for cd's. It will cloud that particular plastic. Either should be available at an art supply store. Last time I used it was to get the permanent license of my boat trailer so I could strip and paint it. The license came off without any tears or problems. It's flammable though so be careful.

If you want to steer clear of the chemicals, something I used for automotive work is the Astro Wheel. It's basically a big rubber eraser. attaches to a drill or die grinder. It literally erases the decal, glue and all. You really have to be careful not to burn through your paint, or plastic. It gets hot. But with a little practice you can zip anything off with it. Then a little buffing and you're done. I got mine at an automotive paint supply place. They are super handy.

WD-40 and your fingernails work great. Most of us have a can laying around anyway. Give it a try. I use it at work all the time.