Bimini Top?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ictalurus

Reaction score
I've been thinking about adding a bimini top to the boat. It gets pretty hot down here June - September and I would like to take the family pleasure boating during those hot months when the fishing slows a bit. My question is, are they really worth it or will it be in the way most of the time and not used as much as I'm thinking? Does anyone have a bimini on your tin and have any thoughts, comments, recommendations? Thanks for the input.

Check this out towards the bottom.(Posted: 16 Nov 2010, 00:15)

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16334&p=167960&hilit=bimini#p167960

I've seen that, the bimini looks great. Looks like he hasn't been out on it yet with and fished. Any input on material, canvas, nylon? I think the two bow model would be fine for a 14', would like the bow open and stern covered.

Some are made out of material called Sunbrella.I have seen others made out of material like on boats seats.

Or a coated cordera.

Purchaced one 4 or 5 years ago and it pretty much hung in the garage until last year. Now it stays on the boat full time. I have a 14' jon. The top is a 2 bow I think 4' long. Came from Cabellas for about $120 or so. The fancy fabrics dont seem to be available on the small sizes. Its like air conditioning on the 100 degree days. Works great in rain showers. Even on a mild day it helps keep the strain off the eyes and makes the FF easier to read. My buddies all want on my boat on the hot days.
Took delivery of a grizzley 1860CC in november, ordering a bimini for it today. I purchased a cover from Boat Covers direct and am happy with that, so I will probally order the bimini from them. The small top is very easy to deploy, my daughter and I got into some channel cats on lake Gastin last summer and she helped deploy and stow as needed to fight the fish. Would not have another rig without one. Good Luck

I have a Spectum Sport 16 that has a bimini top on it. Used it the first time out, it's been stored ever since. Difficult to fish from the middle seats - and it was always four people (two couples) so the middle seat was needed and the side poles are just in the way. If you only have two in the boat, one front and one in the back, you'll be okay - but, you won't be under the top?

For pleasure, it helps keep you out of the sun.

boat_001.jpgboat_002.jpg

I am in the market myself. Ebay has them for as little as $129. I'll be getting one before Summer hat is for sure so post where you buy one if you do end up getting one.

Thanks for all of the input. Placed the order today, should be on the boat in 1-2 weeks :D

Found one at Cabela's, $154 w/ shipping.

Attachments

• s7_010059_045_01.jpg
    s7_010059_045_01.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,121
Ictalurus said:
I've been thinking about adding a bimini top to the boat. It gets pretty hot down here June - September and I would like to take the family pleasure boating during those hot months when the fishing slows a bit. My question is, are they really worth it or will it be in the way most of the time and not used as much as I'm thinking? Does anyone have a bimini on your tin and have any thoughts, comments, recommendations? Thanks for the input.
I've also considered this, but I can't quite convince myself to spend the $$.

Is it an effective replacement for the basic sunscreen and hat, and does it stay out of the way when not needed, especially for fishing? I'm definitely being facetious, but the price seems excessive for a canvas and a few sturdy metal bars.

It also doesn't seem like it would be very easy to cast with a bimini in place (overhead obstacle, bars in the way, etc). Anyone care to chime in with experiences? Also, alternative designs/suggestions would be great. I'd especially be curious if there is anything like a 'portable bimini' out there, other than sunbrellas, hats, etc.

Thanks for the input justnortherns. I'm not sure I could make one for the price, factoring time and materials. I also have no equipement to sow or stitch the material, so I'd have to buy the stuff for a one time fabrication. It will most likely not be used for fishing, just want it out of the way when stored during fishing. Thought it would be nice in the summer when the fishing slows a tad and boating activities shift to bringing the family along and just cruising the lake. We have a new addition to our family this year (10 month old daughter) and I thought the shade would be nice for the toddler during a hot Memphis afternoon. But, if not for that factor I'd probably not be in the market.

Ictalurus said:
Thanks for the input justnortherns. I'm not sure I could make one for the price, factoring time and materials. I also have no equipement to sow or stitch the material, so I'd have to buy the stuff for a one time fabrication. It will most likely not be used for fishing, just want it out of the way when stored during fishing. Thought it would be nice in the summer when the fishing slows a tad and boating activities shift to bringing the family along and just cruising the lake. We have a new addition to our family this year (10 month old daughter) and I thought the shade would be nice for the toddler during a hot Memphis afternoon. But, if not for that factor I'd probably not be in the market.

For sure, building one is time, money and skill (and I probably don't have any of the three to contribute!). My wife likes the idea of the bimini top, but I was interested in what all of the fishing veterans have to say about using one (and there have been some great comments already).

I'd love to purchase one, but if I were trying to get that once-in-a-lifetime catch into the boat, and I had trouble getting the line back into the boat or had trouble using the net because of the bars in the way, I think I'd rather stick with the sunburn..............! :)

justnortherns said:
I'd love to purchase one, but if I were trying to get that once-in-a-lifetime catch into the boat, and I had trouble getting the line back into the boat or had trouble using the net because of the bars in the way, I think I'd rather stick with the sunburn..............!

I hear that, will probably not use for fishing, just cruising.

Ictalurus said:
I hear that, will probably not use for fishing, just cruising.

Point well taken (I have young kids as well, I could use the top in my own boat in any case, thus my dilemma). Maybe you could post in the future how it all turns out...............

i was considering getting one also. the local lund dealer told me not to bother. if you troll or cast it is just in the way. better off with an umbrella in a pvc holder attached to the back of your chair.(assuming its not windy)

Latest posts