Riveted to the Hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishpride42

Reaction score
Now that duck season is over and we hunted out of the boat for a year I know what needs to be done. Number one on the list is taking out the front bench as well as the "flotation boxes". The problem is they are riveted through the hull, what is the easiest way to take these out with out having 50 little holes in the hull?? I thought I could drill one side out but I ended up drilling right through the hull. Here is a picture from last year when I bought the boat of the boxes, I will get some more pictures of the boat as I keep going and show the whole build. About the only thing that has changed since this picture is it is definitely not blue anymore.

DSC02537.jpg

DSC02536.jpg

Try grinding the "peened" portion of the rivet off (on the inside of the boat), then pry the riveted piece off the rivet. After you get the piece removed you can then re-peen (or buck) what remains of the rivet. I was able to do this on my project when removing the oar lock mounts and a couple of handles. Good luck!

when i removed the benches that were riveted to the hull i took an angle grinder and cut the bench as close to flush witht the boat sides as possible.

Topgun said:
Try grinding the "peened" portion of the rivet off (on the inside of the boat), then pry the riveted piece off the rivet. After you get the piece removed you can then re-peen (or buck) what remains of the rivet. I was able to do this on my project when removing the oar lock mounts and a couple of handles. Good luck!

These rivets are the kind that are rounded on both sides so that threw me off as well. I may try the angle grinder route. Gotta do something.

I know this tools is expensive but it gets the job done.I have used one. =D>

It finds the center of the rivet so you can drill them out easily

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/rivetremoval.php

:!: Go to your auto parts stores and ask for a spot weld cutter. I think Eastwood co. might sell them. It uses a small pilot drill and is just big enough to cut a spot weld which is about the same size as a rivet. Something to think about.

When got my my boat I too had plans of removing the center bench. But to be honest I was afraid to start cutting and drilling on it once I got it home. maybe after I get some dents and scratches on her I will go through with it. lol.

I talked to a guy that owns a boat repair business and he said with an aluminum cutting sawzall blade you can slice right down between the bulkhead of the boat and the seat severing the rivet that holds the two together. Then grind it flush with a small grinder or dremel then paint over and you will never know it was there.

If you do have to remove a rivet completely you can replace it with a new rivet or a rivet screw. Someone also mentioned on another thread about duct taping one side and filling the hole with JB weld. Like filling a hole in the wall with spackle. haha.

Good luck