Under the bow deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojo

Reaction score
I have a 16' Crestliner Mod V Jon Boat. I am looking to add a bow mount TM, light, seat on a stick, and a TM plug receptacle all on the front deck. The problem I have is that the deck is closed off with no way to get under it to fasten bolts.

I know you can get toggle bolts, but I was thinking I could just cut out a hole in the side like the pic below. Do you guys think this is a good idea? I figured it might make it a lot easier than using togglers for everything.

Would the foam underneath the deck get in the way? How much foam is usually in there?

Where would I get the black striping around the edges like in the pic below?

Its not my pic, Im just using it as an example.

NovaProWeldUltraJon004.jpg

I opened one of my seats to add storage and locate a switch block and buss block. The foam is a real pain to get out. I first tried a saws-all with a 12" blade but it just kind of pulverized the foam. Then I got one of those cheap serrated bread knives and it worked great. It takes time and patience but you can do it. If you just want to mount your seat and not make a storage area, maybe just make the opening just big enough to get your hand where you need to bolt the seat mount on. You can then just make a flat plate and rivet it on to close the hole back up. Just put some duct tape over the edges while you're working in there to prevent getting cut.

When I had to pull wires through foam I first located the holes for the fixtures and drilled them - usually a 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" hole then I aimed a piece of rebar from one hole to the other. With a good aim (and a false start or two) I was able to make a tunnel through the foam to pull the wires without having to excavate a lot of foam. It saved a ton of time not having to dig out the foam and also kept the integrity of the flotation.

Good luck and keep us posted.

mounting isolator kit.jpg
Mounting Isolator Kit
Item # MGA015PB6
$13.95

You could get one of these kits, but if your aluminum deck is thin it will bend the aluminum while under power. But if you can get underneath and reinforce the area, these work great. You can also get a hatch cover to put on the deck. Then you could cut a hole as needed, cut the foam, and make any installations needed and then put the foam back and put the hatch cover in. If you ever need to get back int here you have a quick and easy way to get in there.
We use the hatch covers on customer boats all the time. By far the quickest and easiest way.

weather stripping or a small black tube (fuel line) works well to use as a protective measure for holes like the one pictured.

With the Fuel line or tubing you just need to split it on one side with an exacto or razor knife and then fit it over the exposed edge. Add a little glue if you need to to keep it in place.

You can also get trim from ebay. I got some trim from an ebay seller called R&P Carriages for a great price by the foot.

huntinfool said:
You could get one of these kits, but if your aluminum deck is thin it will bend the aluminum while under power. But if you can get underneath and reinforce the area, these work great. You can also get a hatch cover to put on the deck. Then you could cut a hole as needed, cut the foam, and make any installations needed and then put the foam back and put the hatch cover in. If you ever need to get back int here you have a quick and easy way to get in there.
We use the hatch covers on customer boats all the time. By far the quickest and easiest way.
I didn't think of that. Will the TM force really bend my deck? I think it is one of the thin ones. How would I reinforce it?

Would it be ok to remove all of the foam. Im not sure how much is in there, I still havn't looked or done anything. Im just in the planning stage.

Would one of these work for the hole?
https://www.basspro.com/TH-Marine-Designer-Series&153;-Access-Hatches/product/10200442/-1551871

I just built a front deck on my Tracker 1436 for the same reason minus the seat. I mounted 2x4s onto the front seat to make a base for the deck, then drilled holes for bolts through the 2x4s and the seat. I cut a hole like in the pic and used a kitchen knife to slice away at the foam and started breaking it away. It seemed to work pretty good for me and the seat still seems strong. I like the idea of using fuel line to cover the sharp edge, now ive got something to do tomorrow!

Latest posts