Gluvit Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cathprod

Reaction score
I have used steelflex before but am intrigued by gluvit because of its better flexibility. It is pretty common to see people say to use steelflex on the outside of the hull and gluvit on the inside to cover seams and rivets.

My question is why not use gluvit on the outside of the hull given that it will be painted due to its problems with UV light.

I would use steelflex but I really want to paint over whatever I use and it seems like it is easier to paint over gluvit.

I just want to make sure that I am not missing something. Thanks!

I've seen Gluvit used on the outside of hulls, with a discussion about it having to be reapplied every so often. I'm thinking this was on a river boat though.

I've used steelflex, but not Gluvit, and I have to assume that the gluvit has a much lower viscosity than steelflex and would better "seep" into areas that steeflex will not, making it a better choice on the inside. It also stands to reason that on the inside, the product is "protected" from being knocked/chipped off from beaching the boat, rocks, etc....

Also not sure what the "slickness" properties of Gluvit are compared to Steeflex, but I'm guess they are less which would be important to some.

We need a Gluvit authority on here.

Thanks Brine! Your comments would make sense given the preference given to steelflex for the outside of the hull. I was just wondering if I coated gluvit with something like a rustoleum enamel if that would protect gluvit while it did it's thing preventing leaks. I have a tendency to beat a boat up and the added flexibility of gluvit seems like it may help if my hull experiences any flex as I beat it up in slight to moderate chop.

Latest posts