pop/solid rivet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are also "Blind Rivets" they work like pop rivets but don't have the hole in them.

Pop rivets have a mandrel in them, which, when pulled, squeeze the backside. They are also called blind rivets, and that designation does NOT mean they are watertight. Blind rivet is merely the actual term for POP rivets, which is just a commonly used brand name. They are quick and easy to install, and need access to only one side, making them perfect for tube and the likes.

You do not have to have the pneumatic gun to install these. I usually can get 5000 plus rivets out of a hand rivet gun (more, if I'm running 1/8" rivets), for 15 bucks, before it dies. Do yourself, a favor, though, and don't get a hand rivet gun from Harbor Freight.

Solid rivets are the rivets that most riveted boats are installed with. These are purchase with a head on one side, and a straight shaft on the other. The rivet is inserted through the hole, and the shaft is peened over, by the use of an air hammer. This is a two man job - air hammer on the head, bucking bar on the other side.

I don't generally advocate Harbor Freight tools (as most of them are crap), but they have a much cheaper air chisel than what you have listed, and to be honest, that is what I use. Purchase a decent rivet set from aircraft spruce (match the dish in the set to the head on the rivets you purchase), and then just get a scrap chunk of steel for your bucking bar.

https://aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php

Wow, thanks for the info. I will stay away from Harbor Frieght. I am going to get a blind rivet hand gun for inside the boat and solid riveter in case I have a leaky rivet in my boat someday. I live in the sticks so I have to think ahead and order the solid riveter for emergencies. :)

Latest posts