shanty boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckfisher

Reaction score
im thinking of making a 20 foot shanty boat, to float down the erie canal with my brother, like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRHtE4S1CpY but mine will be 20' x 8' with the front deck being 8' long, the living quarters being 10' and the back deck being 2'. has anyone made one of these and is it possable to use plastic barrels for floatation?

It is a cool idea isn't it? It is a tinyhouseboat. People are building these in all shapes and forms. They have all sorts of links and pictures of tinyhouses being built on boats and handmade barges at tinyhouseblog.com . Check it out! I am building a tinyhouseonatrailer, then I'm building a tinyhouseboat. Basically same idea you have, but way more sturdy.

cheers :D

this is my idea for the "shanty boat"
raft2011.jpg

I am from Celina Ohio Originally. I grew up not far from the Miami/Erie canal. The lake I grew up on (Grand Lake St Mary's) was dug to be a resivoir for the canal.

In School we went on field trips to learn about the canal system and its history. I spent alot of time getting into and staying out of trouble on that lake and in and around that canal.

I have hunted and canoed all over the lake and the Miami and erie canals, and the St Mary's and Auglaize rivers in and around St Mary's, and Spencerville, Ohio. Caught countless catfish and turtles, and avoided water moccosins lol. Man you brought back a lot of memories mentioning that old canal.

I have always thought it would be soo cool to travel the canal from its origin at lake earie all the way to the Ohio River and then on to the Mississippi and down to the gulf of Mexico by canoe!

There are alot of old locks on the canal where I lived, now they are just small waterfalls. Im not sure how it is where your at but a house boat or anything larger than a canoe or Kayak would be impossible to get through where I lived. https://www.hiking.ohiotrail.com/st.marys/index.htm

Your project sound really cool though. I WILL do something like what you are doing in the future. Good luck!

reedjj said:
I am from Celina Ohio Originally. I grew up not far from the Miami/Erie canal. The lake I grew up on (Grand Lake St Mary's) was dug to be a resivoir for the canal.

In School we went on field trips to learn about the canal system and its history. I spent alot of time getting into and staying out of trouble on that lake and in and around that canal.

I have hunted and canoed all over the lake and the Miami and erie canals, and the St Mary's and Auglaize rivers in and around St Mary's, and Spencerville, Ohio. Caught countless catfish and turtles, and avoided water moccosins lol. Man you brought back a lot of memories mentioning that old canal.

I have always thought it would be soo cool to travel the canal from its origin at lake earie all the way to the Ohio River and then on to the Mississippi and down to the gulf of Mexico by canoe!

There are alot of old locks on the canal where I lived, now they are just small waterfalls. Im not sure how it is where your at but a house boat or anything larger than a canoe or Kayak would be impossible to get through where I lived. https://www.hiking.ohiotrail.com/st.marys/index.htm

Your project sound really cool though. I WILL do something like what you are doing in the future. Good luck!
oh i was thinking of going East down the New York State Erie Canal but now you got me thinking of going West to Lake Erie, down the Ohio River and down the Mississippi to New Orleans. i think i can do that in a summer. (I'm only 15 so i'd need to be back for school)

I live in Wisconsin and have fished and boated on the Mississippi. I have often day dreamed about retirering on the river and living in a houseboat. To be able to live and go anywhere the river could take you would be without a dought one of the coolest lifestyles I could imagine...

Way back in the day, I had a Lake Michigan boat (30 ft. Bayliner) with a living area that included a living room, kitchen (galley) with stove, oven, refrigerator, bathroom with shower, and bedroom. It had slideing patio doors to go out to rear deck with a ladder that you climbed up to the upper station with seating and steering (flybridge). I literally lived on that boat all summer sometimes going all weekend without stepping on solid ground. It was great.. the boats name was "Summer Home" painted on the transom...

Summer dock rental, winter storage costs, and fuel for the twin V-8 motors forced the sale of that boat and caused me to downsize and "move" to inland lakes and much smaller boats...which I must say...is also a great lifestyle in of itself...

Outdoorsman.

Well, all you younguns, that's right - if you don't do things like this when young, it gets harder later in life. But - make sure you are SAFE! You are starting off right by even posting this idea here where you can get some advice before you just start off. Learn from someone who has done something like this before. It is very manly to stay alive! Just be careful of those "hey y'all, watch this" moments, do your homework (right, good old homework - research), build a good boat that is safe, and do it!

DuraCraft said:
Well, all you younguns, that's right - if you don't do things like this when young, it gets harder later in life. But - make sure you are SAFE! You are starting off right by even posting this idea here where you can get some advice before you just start off. Learn from someone who has done something like this before. It is very manly to stay alive! Just be careful of those "hey y'all, watch this" moments, do your homework (right, good old homework - research), build a good boat that is safe, and do it!

Once I think I heard somebody call those moments a "here, hold my beer" moment. Anyway, like they said. Do it but be smart about it. I don't know how old you are but if you are young enough , do it before all the house payments and other things take priority. The first 20 years belong to you and if you're lucky, the last 20. All the years in between belong to car and house payments and family and things like that. I'm not saying that's bad, but it is different. I am looking forward to the last 20 and would love to do what you're talking about. I have a brother who has been planning and modeling a boat for his retirement that will be his home and he plans to become somewhat migratory, moving with the seasons. Time to stop dreaming and get to work...good luck.

Heres one up this way.
They use it all the time,it has a 40hp yamaha on it.
They tow a 16'aluminum 30hp honda,most there fishing is off that but they anchor in a few different coves all summer.
16.09.09 002.jpg
Aluminum shanty at that.

DuraCraft said:
yeah i want to be safe and that is why i posted it here. i figured out with the 5 barrels i'll have 4,000lbs of buoyancy (i think thats enough buoyancy). i'm gonna have life jackets, fire extinguishers, and im gonna tow my 12' sea king along with it. oh and, of course, im gonna bring fishing poles.

Zum said:
Heres one up this way.
They use it all the time,it has a 40hp yamaha on it.
They tow a 16'aluminum 30hp honda,most there fishing is off that but they anchor in a few different coves all summer.

Aluminum shanty at that.
thats living the life

There are several house boats that live either part time or full time on Lake Seminole. Some are for rent, others are owned for specific personal uses.

Give me all the usual fishing equipment including fishfinder, and a small shack with a bed and a roof and I could stay out there as long as the food holds out.

Ok so on the left is the frame layout, on the right is my floor plan layout. the gray is the floor with carpet. the red is the bunk bed and the top one will fold up to make the bottom one a couch. the white area is the shower and toilet. the yellowish thing is a dresser. and the black area is the counter with the stove and sink. oh and i forgot something on the front deck i'm gonna put 2 pedestal seats that i got last year.
boatidea.gif

Do you have lake access that is yours or a relatives? If not figure on renting a spot to keep it docked when not in use.

Since it will be HEAVY and BIG, keep that in mind for moving it. Do you have a trailer? Will it need to come out in the winter? Where will you store it in the winter? If you have no where, add storage into the costs.

Not trying to discourage, just trying to bring you down to reality.

If I were to build one, I would either live on the body of water I wanted it on, or I would rent a seasonal site at a campground or something similar so I could keep it docked.