Epoxy resin and paint compatibility

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesgrogers

Reaction score
Hello all I am new to this forum and just wanted to say what a site! lots of information. I have a couple of questions to begin with. I am re decking a pontoon boat using marine plywood (meranti) and plan on sealing with epoxy resin and the painting with nonskid instead of carpet ( this is a fishing/utility boat) I have looked at the west marine epoxy online and was thinking it would be a good start, my first question is how thin is the epoxy I would like it to be thin enough to penetrate somewhat, I am not new to epoxy resins, though all I have experience with was rather thick. my second question is what type of paint is compatible with the resin and durable. My plans are to put down a thin base coat on all sides and top and bottom of plywood then install the deck then another couple of coats on top with a nonskid mix in. I have seen an epoxy paint for garage floors in lowes that looks very durable should I go that extreme or can I do it with a standard deck paint. Anyone with experience in such matters?

West systems is fairly thin. If yourplanning on putting that many coats on it you can add the non skid to the last batch and paint with just about anything. Otherwise I would apply your coats and then apply Skid-no-more. That will give you the nonskid your wanting and paint it all in one step. I did my boat with it and it is working perfectly.