2x4 vs 2x2

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ouachita1648

Reaction score
let me start by saying I am new here and this is the coolest website ever. I have an old 1648 that I am wanting to put a deck on. As soon as I figure out how to post pics on here I will. Basicly my question is... are 2x2's strong enough to use for support. I can't afford to use aluminum so I am going to use wood and use a good sealer to waterproof it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and welcomed. Thank You!!

2x2 will be fine - and lighter than 2x4s... I've decked all of my boats with the exception of my current build with 2x2s and had no problems.

The only thing you may want to do is add a few 2x2 cross supports depending on the size of plywood you are using. I used exterior ply (stay away from pressure treated stuff) in 15/32" thickness.

russ010 said:
The only thing you may want to do is add a few 2x2 cross supports depending on the size of plywood you are using. I used exterior ply (stay away from pressure treated stuff) in 15/32" thickness.

+1 on this. The pressure treated will pit your aluminum, not that I know from first hand knowledge or anything. :oops: Good luck on the build and we love pics!!

You can use 2x2s if you increase the number of supports and have less weight on any one or two of them, 2x3s should be fine as long as you are not much over 200 lbs., otherwise 2x4s (or even more upright 1x4s) may be the way to go. I am 6'5" and 215 lbs so I am planning to use 1x4s about 12" apart and cross beam supports for my front deck since I will also have a door for storage below.

Latest posts