New forum member with jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screwballl

Reaction score
Figured I would use this to introduce myself. Name is Mike from the Florida Panhandle.

New to the forum (and boats), but not fishing, recently picked up my new to me jon boat for $400 (boat and trailer). Unfortunately money is tight so I cannot go too overboard with this thing. The boat is 14ft, aluminum, 36" wide at the base, 53" wide at the top side to side.
The boat is clean and sound, no leaks, The trailer rims, leafs and axle has surface rust since the previous owner used it in salt water and didn't wash it down, luckily the frame itself is untouched and looks good. I am slowly getting the items needed to get it ready for the water. I picked up a clean well running 36lb thrust Minn Kota transom mount for $28. I did get a 10 year old boat battery that I have been trying to condition to see if it holds a charge, hopefully going to have it checked in the next few days by a pro to see if it is worth holding onto or using. If not I can get $12 core charge discount on a battery from a few local places.

Right now I am cleaning up and painting over aftermarket bolts on the boat that are starting to rust with a wire brush on my drill and using some rustoleum paint (unfortunately only had dark green on hand). Eventually going to wash the sand off the rest and make a redneck/bubba green and brown cammo type look to it. Its ugly as is so may as well keep the theme. I am also in the process of getting some inside areas sanded and painted white because that dark brown in the hot sun will turn into a skillet. I don't feel like burning myself or my oldest daughter (8) when trying to fish.

Also got plans possibly later this summer to get some 5/8" treated plywood and build a front deck from the front bench forward (in the area where the current removable grey bench boards are in the below pics), with a trap door to get to storage underneath, and then kind of the same thing on the rear, just to cover it up behind the rear bench. I am still trying to decide if I want to go with a grip type rubberized coating or carpet on the front, but definitely going with pad and carpet on the rear.

The center has a livewell so not much planned for that right now, just trying to figure out an aerator to keep the baitfish alive (not much planned mostly due to money).

Anyways, off to the pics:

Overall boat as I got it:
downsize-28-1.jpg

Rear storage:
2b79a3e3-1.jpg

Bow seat:
53ac0cc2-1.jpg

Overall inside as is now:
4ea73351-1.jpg

Good battery,trolling motor and a boat that doesn't leak...all you need to get out on the water.
I see where you say your going to buy some "treated lumber"for some decks.
Stay away from pressure treated lumber on an aluminum boat,it will eat away(corrosion)at your boat.
Regular plywood and some type of spar varnish or water proofing would be a better way to go.
happy boating.

Zum said:
Good battery,trolling motor and a boat that doesn't leak...all you need to get out on the water.
I see where you say your going to buy some "treated lumber"for some decks.
Stay away from pressure treated lumber on an aluminum boat,it will eat away(corrosion)at your boat.
Regular plywood and some type of spar varnish or water proofing would be a better way to go.
happy boating.

thanks Zum!

I have some polyurethane here that I was planning to seal the edges and 6" or so in just for that purpose. I don't have enough to do an entire front deck but the poly plus carpet on the wood, and the paint on the boat side should be enough to help protect it.

Great find! A lot of possibilities with that boat. 1448's are popular and stable platforms! I would definately deck from the front bow seat to the next seat and make the storage and compartments under it like you plan to do. Have fun with it! And welcome. This site is great. there are a lot of knowledgable people on here.

screwballl said:
The boat is 14ft, aluminum, 48" wide at the base, 60" wide at the top side to side.

It may just be my computer screen scewing things, but your boat looks pretty slender for a 48" bottom and the slope of the sides look steeper than moving out to 60" from 48. Nice boat though, lots of options and fish to put in there.

BaitCaster said:
Good find. The trailer looks a tad small for that boat though.

Yeah the trailer I believe was made for a 10-12 ft V hull jon boat, but with the tie downs it is stable (except the last 2-3 feet if just sitting on the ground). This does help with launching though, do not have to back as far to drop the boat, which is good since I have a 2WD Durango and plenty of soft sand landings around here.

Ictalurus said:
screwballl said:
The boat is 14ft, aluminum, 48" wide at the base, 60" wide at the top side to side.

It may just be my computer screen scewing things, but your boat looks pretty slender for a 48" bottom and the slope of the sides look steeper than moving out to 60" from 48. Nice boat though, lots of options and fish to put in there.

ah good catch... I had the seat width (just shy of 48) and deck length (close to 60) on my mind. It is 36" and 53"

screwballl said:
Eventually going to wash the sand off the rest and make a redneck/bubba green and brown cammo type look to it. Its ugly as is so may as well keep the theme. I am also in the process of getting some inside areas sanded and painted white because that dark brown in the hot sun will turn into a skillet. I don't feel like burning myself or my oldest daughter (8) when trying to fish.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder!! Welcome to tinboats!! Best of luck, use the search key and there is no such thing as a dumb question.

I plan to use the white paint I have to just rattle can spray it on the back: Lil fugly