any one ever tried this with your floor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfetter20

Reaction score
ive been looking around for something to do with the floors in my boat and i saw this on youtube one day , thought i would see if anyone has ever tried it before. i notice in this video that he uses a rubber kinda floor mat like out of a shop or some kind of industrial building for traction on the floor. i found that lowes sells them really cheap and thought it might be a good idea to try for the money. i put a link for the youtube video and for the mats at lowes. if anyone could give me some feedback i would greatly appreciate it! thanks

lowes floor mats - https://www.lowes.com/pd_155419-20787-155419_0__?productId=3063725&Ntt=rubber+mat&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s%3FNtt%3Drubber%2Bmat

youtube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccOHsZoFVBs&feature=player_profilepage

For anti-slip, or for a softer fishing platform?

I'm going to add this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cap-Barbell-Anti-Microbial-12-Pieces-Puzzle-Mat/15561928
To my front deck. But I'm going to carpet over it too.

I'm not sure what they use, but some of the big money glass boats come with padded fishing decks from the factory.

I have something similar. It is interlocking rubber tile that I cut to fit my floor. I am very happy with it. Way lighter than wood decking and easier to clean than carpet. Mine is called "Multy Tile" but I think you can only get it in Canada.

Attachments

• floor.JPG
    floor.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 1,017
  • floor2.JPG
    floor2.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 1,017
I found some rubber (I guess it's rubber) mat stuff at some kind of supply place a few years ago for my tin - love that stuff. Here's a photo of some of it in the front of my boat. I had to kind of fashion it to fit in the bow, but it works great. Soft on feet, quiet, water proof, about all a fisherman would need to make a good floor without all the wood, etc. Plus, hooks, etc. don't fall in cracks

Attachments

• IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    761.7 KB · Views: 991
sears has garage floor tiles that may work for, search for garage floor tiles and see what ya think.

I was in wally world today (WalMart) and saw something that I plan to buy instead... it is a yoga mat. A thick rubberized mat with holes all over it, similar to the thinner stuff that is sold for shelf liners (my wife used some for our glasses). They run 24" x 68", which means in my case I would need 2 mats at $10-15 each.

I used some industrial rubber runners for my floor that I got from my workplace. They are about 3/16 thick and backed with a strong fiber weave. It's pretty heavy though, the whole thing with carpet weighs about 75 pounds. But, it's 100% waterproof, and laid over the ribs with the pink foam sheathing between, very stable and secure.

I had looked at Lowes for something similar before I ran across this, but be aware of one thing. The foam rubber matting that lowes and hd sells are more of the "anti fatigue" material, and WILL soak up water. They are soft and pliant, and don't weigh that much. But unless you won't be fishing in the rain that much, or covering your boat when not in use, I would pass them by. They get water logged and get very heavy.

Skidz

Just a couple of tips:

1. it must not soak up water - weight will be a problem, plus drying it out, mold, etc.

2. if it has cracks, believe me, leads/weights, hooks, etc. WILL creep down into any crack or hole it can find, causing you much pain.

That's it. Two important things to be aware of when buying matt flooring for your boat. The stuff I have is lightweight, doesn't soak up water, and has no places for things to fall into. It's about 3/16" or so thick. I forgot what kind of place I bought it, but it was some kind of industrial supply that does not normally sell to public. I just checked in phone book, called a few places until I found this one, and they said come get what I needed. I checked all the normal places, WallyWorld, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc., and they did not have what I was looking for that met the two criteria above...

I put rubber mats in over closed cell foam found at the big box stores. I also put in a plastic sheet material between the foam and rubber mat to protect the foam from sun exposure.

Attachments

• mat.jpg
    mat.jpg
    714.5 KB · Views: 840

Latest posts