Boat Search / Jon vs. Semi-V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Team Liquid

Reaction score
New member to the TinBoats website and community.
What an amazing source for all things tin.

I am actively shopping for a used boat and am looking for some advice. Have not decided on a Jon vs. Semi-V and wondering if anyone has written a pro/con article on the subject of stability and fishablity of both hull designs? I did a search but didn't find anything. Maybe I missed it?

My main purpose for the boat will be bass fishing on smaller reservoirs and lakes. Specifically throwing big swimbaits in So. California. (we are lucky to have a nice population of monster bass out here on the West coast) Some of the places I fish only allow trolling motors and I will usually be fishing with one other guy. We're both about 150-170lbs.
Plan to fish standing and will most likely mount leaning posts front and back on raised casting decks, install a livewell or two and storage areas and would like something in the 15-16' range.

Thanks Guys.
Any comments and advice is appreciated.

I have had deep V, flat bottoms, and Mod V hull boats. Mod V is the best of both worlds and you don't give up very much if any stability of the flat bottom. With that said they are usually a little more expensive than a regular flat bottom jon.

I lived in San Diego for a while and I am familiar with Lake Miramar, Poway, Lake Perris and a few others. Then lived in Yuma Az and spent some time on the Colorado river, Mittry, and Martinez lakes and even fished out of the Salton Sea (interesting Place) Most of those lakes never get any chop big enough to require a V hull boat. If the weather is bad enough for those lakes to white cap you dont want to be out there even on a big fiberglass boat.

My advice would be to get a nice used 1448,1542, or 1650. that should be big enough and very stable to do what you want but still not too big to be pushed around with a bigger trolling motor.

Not sure where you are at in So Cal but if you are interested in fishing saltwater in Mission bay a flat bottom with a 9.9 and a troller will suit you fine.

One of the older Crappie tracker boats would be perfect.

I own a 1432 flatboat and a 1752 mv and given what you are looking for I think you need to worry more about the width of the boat than whether it is a flat or mod v. Given that two of you will be standing while fishing on raised casting decks I would try to get at boat that is at least 48" wide across the bottom. That would be my main concern were I in your shoes. With a trolling motor setup you will not reach the kind of speeds where an mv offers the greatest advantage. Good luck, I was searching just like you not that long ago!

I have had flat bottoms and several other semi-v boats and the 1548 all weld semi-v that I have now. I will never have a regular flat bottom again due to the difference in the ride. The sem-v pushes the waves aside while the flat bottom "attacks the waves head on" I assume you will also put a gas motor on also. I have the 1548 G3 all weld decked out with a 1" floor with a 40hp and 40lb bow mounted fold out hand operated hand troll motor. I weigh approx 230 and my guest usually weigh real close and the 40lb troll motor handles it real well. I stand up and fish some also, very stable. The 40lb is good, but if I had it to do over, would go to a 45 or 50lb troll motor. I go with the hand operated troll motor because its approx $200.00 cheaper than the foot operated motors. I use a handle extension so no problem with guiding it and I also mount a Big Foot off-on foot operated switch on the front deck. I like some room to move around up front and don't like all the clutter of a foot operated troll motor has. If it was me, I would go with either 1448, 1548 or 1648 semi-v, all weld, "NO RIVETS" if you plan or keeping it for awhile. A lot of times when people get rid of a rivet boat is because it is leaking, and leaks are a pain in the butt. Good luck on whatever you get, share some pics, catch a lot of fish and enjoy yourself, jus' sayin'

...been trolling around the site since joining and have been mesmerized but all the builds. Finally had to tell myself it was time to turn off the computer at 1am last night.

Mucho thanks for the replies to my boat search. Please keep 'em coming. All great insights. I'd like to do it right the first time and enjoy the build too. A ton of resources on here, I love it.

Fishing tomorrow, I'll check back in on Saturday.

Latest posts