Trailer or Roof Rack?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragger

Reaction score
I had picked up a 10 foot jon boat a few weeks ago and am debating on how to transport it. Obvious being only 10 feet long, it is a pretty manageable boat that would be easy to move, but is it worth the extra price to invest in a trailer over throwing it onto a car rack? I don't have a car rack or a trailer yet and that is why I am asking because I want to make a good investment and trailers are A LOT more expensive than a roof rack, but they might be worth that extra cost?

Please toss in your ideas!

Trailer without a doubt. Doing the roof thing gets old real quick, especially if you are by yourself. Picture this......

All day fishing, then you get back to your vehicle. Unload fishing equipment, unload cooler, unload troling motor, kill back removing batteries. Load all that crap into the vehicle. Break back flipping and lifting boat onto roof. Tie it down. Get home, do everything in reverse. Get up the next day and do it again.
:LOL2:

Trust me on this, spend the coin if you can and buy the trailer.

For a small 10 footer you don't even need a boat trailer. You could use a small utility trailer. Not sure if your near a Harbour Freight but they sell little trailers for a pretty cheap price. They even sell a little boat trailer. If they are this cheap new you might be able to find a used one for around $150.

Im looking for a deal myself.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15252

Ditto on using a small utility trailer. There's a few folks around here that do that. I used to own a 15' Coleman canoe and carried it on the roof of an Explorer. Got real old lifting that thing on and off, and finally sold it. Granted, the canow was a bit more manageable than a jon boat, but the hassle of it got old real quick.

I've put over $700 in my Yakima roof rack system on my car, love it though. Used trailers are cheaper on CL. Go with the trailer.

Jim said:
Trailer without a doubt. Doing the roof thing gets old real quick, especially if you are by yourself. Picture this......

All day fishing, then you get back to your vehicle. Unload fishing equipment, unload cooler, unload troling motor, kill back removing batteries. Load all that crap into the vehicle. Break back flipping and lifting boat onto roof. Tie it down. Get home, do everything in reverse. Get up the next day and do it again.
:LOL2:

Trust me on this, spend the coin if you can and buy the trailer.

+1. You save a LOT of time being able to travel with gear in the boat and not having to move it from vehicle to boat....then back again. Plus, it gets old real quick!

I vote TRAILER!

reedjj said:
For a small 10 footer you don't even need a boat trailer. You could use a small utility trailer.

Completely agree! After reading the original post, this was my first thought. Just get a cheap utility trailer and use that.

I have a 4’x8’ utility trailer that I bought at Fred Meyers and it has worked great for a few years as a utility trailer. It’s got a ½ ton capacity, 12” wheels and you can tow it with nearly anything. Here’s the price breakdown on my trailer:

$229 Trailer kit
$98 12” wheels
$50 2 ½ sheets of ¾” CDX plywood
$20 Licensing once a year
$397 Total

Overall, you’ll have a utility trailer about the size of an F150 and if you make it with removable sides, you can use it to haul your boat around. BTW, I pull mine with a Subaru Legacy sedan.

TrailerFront.jpg

Trailer... you can find used trailers with surface rust for cheap ($200-400), as long as they are sound and not rusted all the way through it should work well. Otherwise check local stores that handle trailers and you can find a small utility trailer like mentioned above for around $500-600.
Also license and registration varies by state. Here in FL it is $28 for new plate and $38 to 100+ for registration and taxes.

Trailer all the way ! I used to transport my boat in the bed of my Dodge Ram and that really sucked. I got lucky and found a used trailer on Craig's List for $50.00. It had some rust on it but I took all the rust off and sprayed it down with some automotive under body coating from Wal-Mart and its been great so far. Total cost was about $75.00.

I got my trailer on craigs list for $75 and put about $150 in to rebuilding it.

my boat rack has rollers on it.it was ok for my old 12 ft. but my 14 ,way to heavy to flip and slide,even with rollers,so when you upgrade your boat,better off with a trailer.unless you camp with a travel trailer.....might have to trade for a camper....she warned me that boat was too big....i thought for sure i could lift it on to that rack...

10 footer I would roof rack it.If your planing on buying something bigger later on... buy the trailer later on,reason is that a trailer made for a lets say 14 footer, will have too much weight carrying capacity, and thus be way to stiff for a ten footer(itll beat the h#@!%& out of it)just my 2 cents Mike

If it was me it'd be a simple call it's easier and safer to carry a boat on a trailer. Back in the late sixties my dad made a home made roof rack out of 2x4's and suction cups. Cheap and worked well as long as two were going fishing and the lake was close by. Thing to remember a lot of things can happen if the boat is not secured right, on top of the car.

Wow, almost completely unanimous! Didn't expect that. I know having it on a roof would be a pain, especially since I fish solo, but it would save me a lot of time and money to just be able to throw it on top. So far every trailer I have seen for sale has been 500 plus and in pretty bad shape.

The hunt continues!

dragger said:
Wow, almost completely unanimous! Didn't expect that. I know having it on a roof would be a pain, especially since I fish solo, but it would save me a lot of time and money to just be able to throw it on top. So far every trailer I have seen for sale has been 500 plus and in pretty bad shape.

The hunt continues!

That is the key: SOLO!

If you always had someone else there to help load/unload it then a roof rack would be fine... but even 10ft jon boats can be heavy and there is no need to try that on your own, wrecking either your back or the boat itself.

I know my problem is going to be when the family and I go camping. I am going to need to find a way to tip my 14ft upside down on top of my popup camper, and not sure if the wife has the strength for it (doubtful).

Latest posts