Transom support

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davehopper8

Reaction score
I was wondering I am building my first jon and need to know if I should support the transom for my outboard or should I just put the motor on without doing anything. Ive seen a mount that the motor sits in. Do I need one?

It all depends on the boat and motor (individually) sizes, weights and depth of the boat. Some just weld on thick aluminum plates inside and out, others like mine (a 1436) has a 1/2" sealed and painted plywood across the entire transom area with an angled support to the bottom with another thick plate of aluminum sealed and bolted on underneath. Between these 2 it would support a 10-15 hp motor.

Are you talking about a jack plate for adjusting the motor up and down. This is what they call a mini-jack plate, this one is for motors 35hp on down.
Some others are manual and some are hydraulic.

Attachments

• jack plate1.jpg
    jack plate1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 663
  • jack.plate.jpg
    jack.plate.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 663
I'm running a 20hp yamaha 4 stroke on my Tracker 1542 with not extra plates and it performs great. I don't believe you need a support plate like you are talking!
Scott

If you have a strong and solid transom, then you should not need a support. That is what the transom is for. If if can not support the weight of the motor and the bouncing up and down of going down the highway, then it would never be able to support the pressure of the ourboard trying to lift the boat out of the water. I work on boats for a living and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :D

You could add an extra board to the transom. I added a oak 1"x6"x48" board when I replaced my transom.

Attachments

• IMG_5584.JPG
    IMG_5584.JPG
    450.3 KB · Views: 644

Latest posts