Boat registration in Texas?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

essess

Reaction score
Will a 14' jon without a motor of any type have to be registered in Texas? Seems like I remember it did not years back.

Most states do not require registration on a "water vessel" that is 16 to 18ft or shorter in length AND has no powered source of drive, that require human oars sticks, pedals or some type of human intervention to move the boat. Other states require a license for anything that hits the water more than 8ft long, powered or not.

I see this online, vessels NOT requiring registration in Texas: All (non-motorized) canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, or rubber rafts (regardless of length) when paddled, poled, or oared.

Just to be safe I would suggest checking with the license and registration offices just to be sure, and be specific and exact with your wording.

The following vessels when on Texas public water are required to have current registration, including when docked, moored, or stored.

All motorized boats, regardless of length;
All sailboats 14 feet in length or longer or any sailboat with an auxiliary engine(s); and
USCG Documented vessels (New — see section below).
Exempted vessels — All (non-motorized) canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, or rubber rafts (regardless of length) when paddled, poled, or oared and sailboats under 14 feet in length when windblown.

https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/boat/owner/titles_and_registration/

according to the texas parks and wildlife web sight no

Latest posts