About to start my rehab- newbie (16ft Mirrocraft Deep V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpcarlson

Reaction score
I grew up fishing in my dads old 16ft Mirrocraft deep V with an old 18 horse Johnson. My dad moved onto a new boat about 10 years ago and it has been sitting ever since. Now after looking at it for a few years (and reading tinboats.net), I have decided to start the task of the rehab and customization of the old boat. My dad did some work on it probably 10 years ago (new floors, stripped the paint, new seats, cleaned it up, etc), but nothing too major.

My plan is to redo the floor and carpet around, build a raised platform in front, front trolling motor deck, livewell, remove middle bench and install pedestal seat (have two already in there), storage in front, re-power (used 25hp tiller), new bilge, new Nav lights, some interior lights and thats about it. I know its going to be intense, but i have the time and the resources to finish it off how I want it.

These are the steps I plan on taking, let me know if you see any issues, big holes or you think I am being a moron. Starting with trailer because its currently in Northern Minnesota and all the work will be done in my basement/garage in Minneapolis.

1. Trailer
a. Need to redo bearings
b. validate tires are ok for travel
c. going to rewire lights, all LED

2. Dismantle.
a. going to remove the middle bench.
i. I know it provides some structural integrity, once i tear it apart going ot keep that in mind, probably remove last.

3. Start on floor and deck. Currently it has a removable treated plywood floor, probably going to scrap it (its got 10 years of light use on it), and possibly use it for other random projects.
a. Going to use 2x2 for support along with some 2x4s where duty calls (like devilmutt did on his)
b. going to treat all wood with evercoat boatyard resin
c. place frame in boat, make sure it works, no top/carpet
e. make sure livewell box works, and fits in custom box
i. want to look good and be functional, not going with cooler method, want to be permanent
ii. thinking about something like this as the box https://tinyurl.com/4a6s7yx
d. create storage boxes with small drain holes (seal same)
e. find creative way for new middle seat pedestal

4. Get electronics wired and master switch installed
i. bilge
ii. fish finder (still deciding on type)
iii. nav lights (going to do all new)
iv. interior lights
v. live well

b. dry run electronics, make sure stuff works

5. Carpet
a. take already sealed decks/container tops and carpet with something nice/cheap/available in mn (suggestions?)
b. coat storage containers with ???????
c. place stainless piano hinges on all covers w/stainless steel pulls
d. make sure everything works

6. Put on all the fun stuff, clean up
7. Make sure it floats.........

Questions:
-My dad took off the ugly brown/yellow paint 10 years ago and just left it bare aluminum, is there any issue with that? I think it looks pretty good.

-What should i coat the inside of the storage containers with? I could carpet, but feel like some bedliner or something like that might be more durable. Thoughts?

- Unless there is some foam under the bench, i dont see anything. Should i add some foam (prob spray) in certain areas to help with flotation in case of capsize? Any other benefit of this?

As soon as I start this process, I will snap some photos. Just trying to get the ball rolling, and start collecting all the goodies as cheap as possible.

I appreciate your input

Wecome to TB - I have a 16' MirroCraft as well - Starting my re-do this week. Will post pics

And the benches do not provide much structural integrity

Sounds like a good plan.

I'm in the process of building my 16' Mirrocraft, hoping to get it in the water for its maiden voyage this spring. You won't have any problem with the bare aluminum. It will oxidize so a good polish every once and a while will keep it looking like new. My boat had foam under every bench. It was in bad shape so I trashed it, I plan on replacing it with pool noodles.

You can see my progress here:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15096

My next step is to rebuild the trailer so I can put the boat back on.

Finally got this project up and running, here are some of the initial photos. Got most of the parts collected along with a few random goodies that i forgot at the cabin. I got real lucky and picked up a 1996 Evinrude 25 tiller for an awesome price at an Auction. Trailer is def a piece of crap, but dont plan on hauling it around to very many places so it will be for another day. Not the easiest thing to get on, but pulled fine and made the 3 hour trip with no problem. More pictures to come.

10prst3.jpg

11c6s2h.jpg

Latest posts